Thread: 06 cobalt ss sc tunning help.

Tuner in Training

06 cobalt ss sc tunning help.

This is my first tune so Still new at the boost stuff. No mods. All stock. Manual. 06 cobalt ss sc
    1. My scanner will not log any KR. Not sure why? Ive taken timing to 37 degrees at 6900 rpms and still no knock retard. Im at 7000 ft DA so not sure if this matters. By what I see from other posts is that I need timing down low 20 degress but doesnt make much power there. I know Car will take timing between 27 to 32 degrees. But that is not what i set it to. Its actually about 5 degrees above that. Why? because I never saw any KR. Still dont. I opened the histogram and says parameter no loaded. Im confused. Was considering reloading the VCM suite but I go to my Trans am LS1 and do get KR read.
    2, Im confused about the ETC boost limit in the Torque management section. It says 60%. Should I set it to 100%
    3. On the Max boost 1st or 2nd gear it already says 200%. I dont have to touch that right. Or do I still have to set all cells to 100% for more boost.

Any help that I can get I would aprreciate it.
    Last edited by SSLS1; 07-28-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my tune. Please look it over for me?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    1st, before you blow your motor, take the timing down to 18 degrees WOT. These cars will not take 27-32 degrees AT ALL under boost. Those numbers are for a non boosted car.

2nd, you have to set up your scanner to log correctly. I will attach my setup.

3rd, set all those values under the torque management section to 100%.

Reviewing your tune.....kinda looks mostly stock.

Your injector flow rate is all kinds of jacked up. Comparing to my stock tune not sure what you did there. Put that table back to stock. This table should be linear. Click the graph and look at it.

Why are your injector offsets drastically different than stock? Are you sure this car is stock?

your PE EQ ratio is not consistent. Set it to 1.300 across the board until you get everything else dialed in. That is 11.3AFR. And if you do not have a wideband dont even try to go WOT again until you do. A boosted car is not forgiving to lean conditions and it will blow up.

Your timing table......huh. You added all that timing in the wrong spot. Post up a log if you can. Either put that table back to stock, or zero out all the adder tables and change the whole timing table to reflect that. I will post my tune as a guide for that.

Other than that you need to learn how to use your scanner to benefit you.
    Last edited by lwrs10; 07-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lwrs10 View Post
    1st, before you blow your motor, take the timing down to 18 degrees WOT. These cars will not take 27-32 degrees AT ALL under boost. Those numbers are for a non boosted car.

2nd, you have to set up your scanner to log correctly. I will attach my setup.

3rd, set all those values under the torque management section to 100%.

Reviewing your tune.....kinda looks mostly stock.

Your injector flow rate is all kinds of jacked up. Comparing to my stock tune not sure what you did there. Put that table back to stock. This table should be linear. Click the graph and look at it.

Why are your injector offsets drastically different than stock? Are you sure this car is stock?

your PE EQ ratio is not consistent. Set it to 1.300 across the board until you get everything else dialed in. That is 11.3AFR. And if you do not have a wideband dont even try to go WOT again until you do. A boosted car is not forgiving to lean conditions and it will blow up.

Your timing table......huh. You added all that timing in the wrong spot. Post up a log if you can. Either put that table back to stock, or zero out all the adder tables and change the whole timing table to reflect that. I will post my tune as a guide for that.

Other than that you need to learn how to use your scanner to benefit you.

All I need to do is get knockm retard. All other cars including to Fbodys I have have Knock retard and i adjust accordingly for the fuel I run. Again I added that amount of fuel along with timing because I have no Knock reatrd. It syas zero. But I dont think its even loading the parameter because I go to the histogram for knock retard and it says parameter not loaded. Please help I just need to know why it my scanner doesnt read Knock retard. I adjusting the PE and timing evenly across the board except for a spike in at fuel at 6000 rpm like .100 or so. Thats what it was stock. I never adjusted the injector flow rate at all. Never touched it so car came that way. But I will look at that After I fix scanner KR problem. I appreciate the the info. I adjusted timing according to the Maf. I converted Maf to Grams/sec and then to grams per/ cyl. according to the unit conversion. And thats from .72 to .76. And adjusted those bars throught the rpm range in the timing table. Plus I made sure thats where the ranghe of WOT timing likes to be according to the MAF. Car makes no more than 10psi boost. If I adjust timing else where then im off the range on the timing table. Let me load a log file from the scanner so you can see a pass. This was a small gun in 1st and then around a corner and gun again 1st and 2nd gear. I will load 2 files. I file has timing as supurb. Perfect. Awesome power. And the rest timing wouldnt go over 32 up from about 26. I know its probably Knock retard but that is making the differences in timing from one pass to the other. I agree timing is off. But I dont just want to adjust back to stock or below stock until i have KR working in my scanner. Ive loaded it as normal, as a PID and nothing not even a histogram available that sayts zeros. Please help me. I dont want to reload the VCM suite info and lose all the information I have. Im afraid If i save the logs and infor from 3 of my cars and I wont be abale to open them again. You know windows issues or file format issues.

Tuner
    you have it backwards. You need to use stock timing tables until you get the KR working. re-enable the burst knock retard table and it will show up as KR so you can test to make sure its working.

Use my config at the bottom of my post

and i can tell you are getting a ton of KR retard by how the timing is dropping.

lower your timing now before you blow your motor. how much timing you are commanding is idiotic with a boosted motor! You are commanding 46* of total timing with your adder tables not zeroed!
    Last edited by lwrs10; 07-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I havent touched the burst knock retard table at all. How do i re-enable it. I dont see you config

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSLS1 View Post
    I havent touched the burst knock retard table at all. How do i re-enable it. I dont see you config
    bottom of post 3 is my tune and config. My tune is for a 2.8 pulley and 60 pound injectors though......but your timing tables should look like that with about 20 degrees total since you are stock.
    Last edited by lwrs10; 07-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    u need help bro. listen to lwrs10 he will save your motor.
    whoever taught you to set your ignition timing to 30 at wot and tune fuel around it was probably an old N/A Chevy or Ford V8 guy and yes for N/A applications running an AFR of 12.5-12.7 you can achieve 30* of timing fairly easily without knock retard kicking in.

in todays new world every motor is extremely picky on what it decides it will be given. First you set the afr by making a few pulls changing the afr. for a boosted lsj this afr will be in the range of 11.5-11.7 for pump fuels. once you get it set and verified on the dyno what afr it likes the most then you tune the timing for that afr. trying to achieve a timing value by throwing fuel at it to combat cylinder temps is a band-aid procedure and usually results in a shorter lifespan with loss of power over a competitor tuning it the right way. Normal boosted wot timing is around 16-18* timing to start and after fine tuning may be possible to achieve more. after reviewing your ignition values i highly suggest you perform a cylinder compression test to verify the cylinders haven't lost compression due to melting. follow that with a cylinder leak down for 100% verification.

fortunate for you came to hpt forum where ecotec help is the strongest and more of a class than just copy and pasting. i have been working with lwrs10 on a big fuel injector issue concerning lsj in which he asked questions and i threw scenarios back at him to be reviewed and pondered on so he can choose a path of correction. Every problem that arose was fixed due to him thinking the situations through and fixing everything himself. this guy knows what hes doing with an lsj and i speak on his behalf knowing he will teach you stuff the right way and get you to where you need to go in tuning this lsj you are working on.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

holy god, 37 degrees of timing at WOT....

Tuner in Training
    Ok everything back to stock. Now how do I get the Kr working because it still doesnt work.

Tuner
    As I have said twice, use my config. Bottom of post 3.