Thread: 98 C5 LS1 with new Si-Trim supercharger, need tune file to start.

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 98 C5 LS1 with new Si-Trim supercharger, need tune file to start.

Just finished the supercharger install and need to find a tune file to load so I can start the car. I want to load the car on a trailer so it can be tuned at a shop in Houston. Any idea's? surely someone has the answer and can help? I thought maybe changing the injector size would be a good place to start from 28# to 60#, after that I don't have a clue.

Help?

Tuner
    hey Rick, are you doing a 2 or 3 bar SD tune or are you going to have the stock Operating System for now? Did you do any cylinder head or cam changes or is the car stock? I'm going to assume your car was stock before.

any way let me see if I can help you out.

Updating the Fuel Injector Size

your going to have to figure out what your new fuel injectors flow with your exact fuel pressure (whatever that may be)

Step (1) open up your tune file with VCM Editor go to tools then to unit conversion.

Step (2) Input the injector flow rate in your case it will be 60 insert the factor fuel pressure which in your case is 43.5, insert the new fuel pressure whatever you have your car set at. then your new injector flow will appear in the "New Inj Flow" box
    **NOTE** if your fuel pressure is still 43.5 psi then your injector flow rate is not going to change. it will be 6o lb/hr

Step (4) **NOTE** for all intensive purposes of showing you how to do this we are going to assume that your fuel pressure is going to remain at a stock 43.5 psi
    click on the engine tab, fuel tab and then flow rate vs KPA.

Step (5) Find the value under 80 KPA and the value under 0 KPA

Step (6) subtract the value under 80 KPA from the value under 0 KPA (write this number down for reference here in a minute)

step (7) replace the value under the 0 KPA cell with your new injector flow rate then go to the 80 KPA cell and insert the sum of the new injector flow rate plus the difference you wrote down.

Step (8) now that you have inserted the injector data at 0 and 80 KPA cells, you need to interpolate the data for the rest of the cells. highlight the entire table and click the interpolate between corners icon.

now you have correctly scaled your fuel injectors.

Getting rid of that Peksy Torque Management

Step (1) open up your tune file go to the engine tab then to the torque management tab then spark retard vs. torque reduction tab. highlight the entire table then go to the box on the toolbar and enter a zero then click the = symbol. this will effectively cut off your torque management spark retard. this is a good thing!!

Step (2) go to the ECT TPS Max table highlight it, go to the white box enter 100 and hit the = symbol

Save tune under a different name. "DONT OVERWRITE YOUR FACTORY TUNE SAVE A COPY IN A SAFE PLACE

flash new tune to the vehicle

if you have a larger cam you will need to adjust the the BASE RAF

honestly if your engine is a stock engine and no major engine mods are done, just the updating of the injector size and the Torque Management adjustments that I described should have the car running good enough to drive anywhere as long as your stay out of boost.

do those things and do a data log of the car at idle and post it up.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
    hey Rick, are you doing a 2 or 3 bar SD tune or are you going to have the stock Operating System for now? Did you do any cylinder head or cam changes or is the car stock? I'm going to assume your car was stock before.

any way let me see if I can help you out.

Let me first thank you for the help! I will trailer the car tomorrow to get a tune. I installed the stock injectors and it runs well enough to load in the car hauler.

AGAIN, THANK YOU for being the ONLY GUY who took the time and effort to help!

Rickey