Thread: 5.3 with Comp Cam XR265HR

Tuner in Training

5.3 with Comp Cam XR265HR

Hey everyone, new to HpTuners and looking for help(Obviously...). I have a tube chassis rock crawler with a 2001 5.3 and Jim's Performance harness and tune. It has always seemed to run rich to me (burns eyes behind it and everything from the exhaust pipes back is black) but it has always seemed very responsive and seldom loads up. A couple of things to mention, it has a non-computer controlled trans(th350) with stock converter and no VSS. I thought it would be obvious when I got the software how he got past these two issues but I haven't caught it yet. Anyway, I just added a Comp Cam XR265HR cam. It is obviously still running rich and now will not idle at all in gear. It is still very responsive. Everything I read leads me to believe that a stock converter should be ok with this combo. As stated, I am brand new and would have just taken it to a tuner but I am interested in learning a little about tuning and would like to add a nitrous kit that I have later possibly. I am going to post my tune as it is now and the cfg file from a cold start to operating temp. It is on the lift now with the front dif out so I am unable to log actual driving but I did hold rpms at different intervals to see how the system is reacting at warm temps and let it idle. Any help would be appreciated! The main reason I went with HPTuners vs EFI LIve and others was that this forum seemed pretty friendly. I read the stickys so I hope I have attached the right info and don't look too much like a dumbass!

OriginalJim'sPerformance.hpt
    firstjimsconfig.cfg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jlowry; 07-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    fixed log file

Tuner in Training
    Could I get a mod to move this to the help forum?

Advanced Tuner
    Check out my tune in this thread page 2 http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-tune-question

Tuner in Training
    Thanks alot gagliano7. Another newb question. When I open your file it says that I don't have a license for your file. How would I go about trying your tune on my rig? Do I have to use up credits or copy all variables to my existing tune and resave??

Advanced Tuner
    You would have to license my tune. I would just bring up your tune and my tune and copy what you need and save as something else so you can go back to your original tune if you need to. I don't know if you can just load my tune into your pcm and get it to run. The vins wouldn't match. Once you figure out how to copy whole tables it goes pretty quick.