Thread: PCM Licensing/Flashing clarification

PCM Licensing/Flashing clarification

I have an unlicensed PCM from a 2001 Silverado 5.3L (auto I believe) that I wish to flash a stock 2002 f-body manual OS onto (from the repository). If I understand correctly, I need to license the truck OS on the PCM, then license the f-body OS file, and then perform a write entire to put the f-body OS onto the PCM. This in total is 4 credits, which seems like a waste...just wanted to make sure this is the way to do this. If I had known, I would have searched harder to find an ECU out of an f-body. Hell, it's still cheaper to do that than to spend the extra $100 in credits for this flash.

Thanks.

Yes sir ... that is pretty much it. The PCM must be licensed (which includes licensing the tune therein), and any tune that you wish to flash into that PCM, which did not originate from that PCM, must also be licensed.

As you correctly identified, it is better to do a little more research before beginning, rather than lament after the fact.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    or you could have a shop or dealer with access to a tech 2 flash it to the vin/os of your choice then simply read & license with our software, that would cost you the least amount of credits(assuming they follow the proper vin change procedure and don't corrupt the vin block).
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks for the help guys

Tuner in Training
    Better be careful PCM must be licensed it is necessary.

Tuner in Training
    OP, hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread. I have a 2000 5.7 ls1 from a Camaro. The PCM I have now is corrupt and the only way I could license it is to buy the year model license. I'd rather not spend that many credits right now, so I'm looking to buy another PCM. I guess I need to need to find one that came specifically from a 2000 Camaro if I only want to spend 2 credits. Is that correct? Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    99ls1tj you could get one from a 2000 v8 camaro but you still have to deal with the issue of the vin number not matching your vehicle...

Single vcm licenses(the ones that are only 2 credits) do not qualify for vin changing.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, sorry for the questions. I'm still a bit confused. If I license the 2000 Camaro PCM in the vehicle now, it will cost me 6 credits. Then it will it cost me another 2 credits to modify the file that is already on it (it was tuned by someone else at some point). If so, that would use up my 8 credits. I also considered going back to a stock file. I assume that would cost me another 2 credits?

I have a 2000 Silverado PCM laying around that I would like to use as a backup in case something goes wrong. Can I have a 2000 Camaro OS flashed on it and keep from using any additional credits?

Still trying to figure out the best course before I start burning credits.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    hard to tell without an infolog while connected to the camaro pcm in the vehicle now that you are referring to as well as the .hpt file from the vehicle in question. Might want to send that along to support so I can take a closer look as what you are saying is a little hazy to me.

Tuner in Training
    If it's hazy to you, it's real hazy to me. 6 credits later, I think I have it figured out.

Last edited by 99ls1tj; 09-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.