Thread: Help with advancing timing

Tuner in Training

Help with advancing timing

I want to advance the timing in my Trailblazer SS and can not find anything that tells me how exactly to do it? It currently has a tune in it for nitrous and I want to make it more suitable for N/A and would like to advance the timing a little. I have searched for it and really have not found anything that gives a clear process? I have looked around in the spark advance table and that's where it gets a little intimidating. What cells do I focus on to add a little total timing? Or am I missing something and there is a place that plug in what I want my total advance to be? Again I appreciate any help as I'm obviously new to this and really want to get a handle on tuning.

Tuner
    You have to log your trailblazer with the scanner make sure you have your histogram setup to read timing advance..after a good drive for 30 mins or so stop the scanner and add to the cells that were hit while on the drive. Add 2° at a time and make sure no knock is present keep adding to those cells till it gets to your liking. Once finished it should be smooth.

Tuner in Training
    Okay thank you very much. Should I avoid WOT or all different driving conditions?

Tuner in Training
    Also can i command more timing and make other changes with the scanner or does all changes have to be made in editor?

Potential Tuner
    Older thread but it fits my question best. Brand new to tuning, and i want to start with something simple, my 08 avalanche 5.3L LC9, with CAI and exhaust. I've been reading around here for a couple days now, and cant seem to find a good explanation of what the histograms represent, and how to use them properly. If I understand correctly, at least for timing advance, the cells it marks are the cells i should change a little at a time, but untill what point? Untill the histogram reads zeros, or is that not possible? And what about the cells with negative numbers? I know I need to invest in a good how-to book, just havnt looked for one yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Find a factor table and add 2 deg, scan , wash, repeat. When you get knock subtract 2 smooth, copy past to low octane table and subtract 2 from there as well on N/A.