Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time HPtuners, 06 cobalt SS 2.4 NA AUTO, just want some recommendations

first time HPtuners, 06 cobalt SS 2.4 NA AUTO, just want some recommendations

Hey guys, i just got back in the GM world again after a 4 year run with honda's, finally out of that now. Picked myself up a 2006 cobalt SS 2.4 NA automatic like ive been wanting for years for a great deal. It's needed some TLC but nothing beyond what i could handle as a moonlighting home mechanic. Ive been tuning honda's for 4 years now, and its a completely different world from GM's, but i have two good friends who are very fluent with HPtuners and V8 tuning and they are guiding me through the process. I downloaded the full tune file from the car tonight and ive been exploring and evaluating what features and changes I want to make the first time around and I wanted to get some input first regarding the changes im about to make. I'm not making any variable valve timing changes until I fully understand the way that works and can do so at the track.

Ive considered the following changes thus far...

PE Enrich Ramp in to 1.0 from .01
    PE RPM Delay 4000 RPM
    COT Lean Cruise Disabled (Cat Over Temp)
    TCS (traction control) ECT and SPARK Control Disable
    FAN PWM Range for AC and NON AC ECT Tables Increase by 50%
    AC DISABLE RPM 4250 (kept AC on to 6k stock)
    AC RE-ENGAGE RPM 4000
    AC DISABLE TPS - 75%
    AC RENABLE TPS - 65%
    IAT and ECT Spark Correction BASE Tables Dialed Back to Higher Limits and Less Timing
    MAIN SPARK ADVANCE BASE TABLE - +2* @ >.52 g/cyl to 25-26* TOTAL WOT TIMING (High RPM) 18-21* TOTAL WOT TIMING (Mid Range)

TRANS WOT SHIFT RPM INCREASE 5% to 6850
    BASE SHIFT PRESSURE PATTERN X - 15% Increase
    UPSHIFT BR/PWR ON - 10% Increase
    DOWNSHIFT BASE PRESSURE - 15% Increase for 2,3,4th gear
    BURST KNOCK RETARD HOLD AND DECAY TIME CHANGE

These are just corrections that I am considering on my own, my buddy is gonna work with the trans line pressures and trans torque management tomorrow. But im thinking 10-15% increase in line pressure across the board is safe for the car?

Heres what boggles my mind more then anything. These correction tables. If they function exactly as i would expect them to. This car is severely hindered by these correction factors. I appreciate any input you guys have. Heres some pics of the tables ive corrected.

oh and a picture of my hooptie

Last edited by Spawne32; 07-18-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    nice car! VVT can be adjusted to its limits without interference imo so when you get there at least you will feel not so paranoid about dangers of shifting the cams.

you are correct the values for ignition correction are set for a car running el cheapo pump fuels. if you plan to go full pump as most do then you will disable these multiplier or cerrection factor tables and tune your ignition system. once done you can drive it around and as it hits different areas of the correction factor tables you can make the new proper adjustment that it requires.

pe enrich set to 2.0(there are threads about this in the v8 section you can find and read)
    pe rpm delay set to 3000 then if it requires fuel changes to keep egt down you can make an adjustment from 1 table. you can always set a pe table value to 1 and make it run stoich like some may want a closer to stoich in lower rpms and taper into high rpms.

your other changes are good starts, you haven't forgotten much since you were out in honda world
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I saw some pretty decent gains NA from cam tables, could definitely feel it. Just takes forever to get anywhere with them.

Also try with different PE enrichment values- 1.15 to 1.11 (12.8-13.2 AFR) to see what your car likes, mine took a lot more timing with a slight increase in fuel.

Spark timing in the mid range can make the car feel great too, just don't go overboard and always drop a couple degrees after you see knock.

edit: looking at your table you may be pushing it a little. I couldn't get much more than the stock 23-24* up top without knock so I left it at 23 and worked on midrange. just remember if you get knock bump it down
    2006 Chevy Cobalt SS 2.4 Turbo
    320 whp 299 wtq

i took it out today and got up to about 6* of KR on the high end, but my IAT's today are between 130-150 degrees because its 102 out lol so i put the tables back to stock high octane on both, gonna do some more playing around with it see how it does on a better day, today just disable alot of the things that inhibit the car naturally

damn 6* is bad man. Start MAF tuning first because even with a bone stock engine the maf calibration will not be great.

Make sure to delete all torque management in the trans in engine side.
    2006 Chevy Cobalt SS 2.4 Turbo
    320 whp 299 wtq

Yah i returned all the ignition to stock, left the high octane map on the low octane as well, since im running shell/sunoco 93 all the time. Slowly raising the trans line pressure to get it to where i think its good. Removed all torque management torque reduction as well as abuse mode torque reduction. Im keeping the IAT tables to pull -1 @ the 122f column and -2 @ the 131f column, and so on and so forth. datalog's showed 150+ IAT after two highway pulls with the stock intake box lol so i imagine today is just not the day to be fucking with ignition timing, but at least i know where the limits are for hot days.

Now heres a question, if i raise the rev limit to 6850 i have to make it match the increase in the speed table. So my current trans speed table is... 37,68,115 on the up, and 30,65 112.

Now i plugged in the trans ratios and the final drive i could find on the net for the 4t45e for both 6500 and 6850 RPM and came up with these WOT numbers with the correct tire size.

6500 = 45, 82, 134, 196
    6850 = 48, 87, 141, 207

now obvious the tuner is using a different spec but if i use the reletive increase in mph i should be able to match it pretty close i think?? So i would add 3mph to the 1st, 5mph to the second and 7mph to the third?

heres the tune file and a datalog, seeing about 4 KR now at WOT in the upper RPM's but this is on the stock table, base pattern x trans pressure is up 25% and the others that follow suit in that column such as downshift and up shift BR/PWR ON etc are increased by 10-15%, shifts firmer but not like it did when my VVT solenoids failed, dont know how much firmer i want to push it though. I want it firm but not whip your neck back hard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

if im reading this correctly according to my o2 milivolts im really really lean up top, im almost wondering if i should just go ahead and replace the MAF and o2 since i already had to replace the MAP sensor
    Last edited by Spawne32; 07-18-2013 at 03:17 PM.

you cant use the o2 voltage for tuning its a narrowband and doesn't respond quickly enough. if you don't have a wideband then you will have to stick with tuning by fuel trims. you will need a wideband for wot tuning when you get there though.

have any of you guys used the electronic throttle tuning maps, i havent touched it at all and the area rate limit > opening rate is already disabled with 100 across the board, and the MAP A NORMAL desired throttle area looks like crap in terms of throttle response. Im hesitant to mess with this because its got a big warning at the bottom that it may brick your PCM.

swapped the o2 out today with a new denso, 127k miles, looks like it had been runnin a little lean for a while now, probably why i had the lean code when i bought the car

i know you got a new 02 but are you using a wideband?

no, dont have the wideband yet, its next on my list of purchases.

its a bosch lsu4 that will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    its a bosch lsu4 that will be just fine.
    i know it will, lol im switching from innovate, cant stand their products, i went through 2 LC1's and 10 sensors in 3 years with them.

i love innovate each their own

Potential Tuner
    I'm keeing an eye on this thread as I have a 2.4L auto that I am slowly working through a tune as well. Installed the ZZP mid headers & catted DP, but due to the way the motor is mapped, lost some power due to no tune. That and I think I need a new MAF/IAT. I am reading 190-200 deg F IAT in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by hizzo3 View Post
    I'm keeing an eye on this thread as I have a 2.4L auto that I am slowly working through a tune as well. Installed the ZZP mid headers & catted DP, but due to the way the motor is mapped, lost some power due to no tune. That and I think I need a new MAF/IAT. I am reading 190-200 deg F IAT in Texas
    That will certainly cause you to lose some power lol I can send you my tune file if you like, however it doesnt have any major fuel modifications, only some adjustments to PE making it a little richer on the top end. Most of it is all torque management removal, and ignition modifications, that really gave the car some pick up.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    That will certainly cause you to lose some power lol I can send you my tune file if you like, however it doesnt have any major fuel modifications, only some adjustments to PE making it a little richer on the top end. Most of it is all torque management removal, and ignition modifications, that really gave the car some pick up.
    That would help as I go through and learn. What bolt ons do you have, or are you bone stock? I would assume that timing tables shouldn't change too much with bolt ons, as AFR is the primary thing affected in an N/A motor. Is this correct? I know boost is a whole other animal (my brother runs a HHR SS turbo).

As I work on fuel, I'll either start a new thread or post back here. I can't believe the tune repository doesn't have anything but a stock tune. I also need to figure out why HPT doesn't show half the PE settings y'all get. Maybe I need to rerun the install.
    Last edited by hizzo3; 08-05-2013 at 11:59 AM.