Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans not shifting at wot 1-2 shift

Advanced Tuner

Trans not shifting at wot 1-2 shift

06 TBSS. Has a built trans and a yank 3000. Shifts fine at part throttle but will not shift 1-2 at WOT. I set the rpm and mph ridiculously low but still no luck. The scanner shows the shift is commanding, its just not happening. Please help.
    NO SHIFT.hpl
    modded 4.hpt

Also, after a rewrite entire/ letting the vehicle cool down, it seems the first time we try for a 1-2 it will actually happen. But after that it's no luck.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 07-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    06 TBSS. Has a build trans and a yank 3000. Shifts fine at part throttle but will not shift 1-2 at WOT. I set the rpm and mph ridiculously low but still no luck. The scanner shows the shift is commanding, its just not happening. Please help.NO SHIFT.hplmodded 4.hpt

Also, after a rewrite entire/ letting the vehicle cool down, it seems the first time we try for a 1-2 it will actually happen. But after that it's no luck.
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    I have a feeling if you posted your tune we would be able to find something to point out to you.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    I did, it's in the original post. It's the hpt file named modded 4.....

Advanced Tuner
    It’s strange, I can’t read any codes on the vehicle either. It doesn’t even display “No DTC’S”, like it should, just nothing. So, I’m not sure if it’s going into a limp mode and not allowing the shift or what. However, if that was the case then I wouldn’t imagine the scan would indicate that it’s actually commanding a shift.

The only thing I can think is that the TCM is bad or maybe wiring. That or the trans itself???

I tried a heavy throttle (maybe 50% throttle) 1st gear pull, ya know, to maybe give it a little extra time to figure itself out......lol, and still wouldn't shift.
    Last edited by GPGTP; 07-15-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure the downshift mph isn't higher than the upshift and the part throttle 100 column matches the wot table
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Make sure the downshift mph isn't higher than the upshift and the part throttle 100 column matches the wot table
    I did thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    So my hpt didn't pull any codes but the tech 2 did but nothing Trans related. I'm starting to think its not tune related

If you have the shift showing up as commanded and it does not happen then something is hurt inside the trans. period. end of story. It may sound harsh but do not beat your head against the wall chasing a tuning issue that is actually a mechanical issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 262 View Post
    If you have the shift showing up as commanded and it does not happen then something is hurt inside the trans. period. end of story. It may sound harsh but do not beat your head against the wall chasing a tuning issue that is actually a mechanical issue.

hey it's fine, it's not my truck. I'm just pissed i'm not getting paid for the job when it's not even a tune related issue. I think it's a mechanical issue as well, I'm just not a trans systems expert. I would like to get some input by some people on here. Could it be the tcm? Why would it shift part throttle with no issues? Could it be a solenoid not working?

Advanced Tuner
    hey it's fine, it's not my truck. I'm just pissed i'm not getting paid for the job when it's not even a tune related issue. I think it's a mechanical issue as well, I'm just not a trans systems expert. I would like to get some input by some people on here. Could it be the tcm? Why would it shift part throttle with no issues? Could it be a solenoid not working?

Here is a longshot. I had so many problems with the car today that I did not make it to the office. I drove the transmission guy nuts, Bill from hp tuners nuts, and myself nuts in 104 degree plus temperatures. It is a long shot. But the file could be corrupt. Mine was. I could not even locate the vcm or tcm. It would not write and it was throwing very strange codes. I was just about to send the interface hardware back to Bill. Then I went to the generic hp tuners I had and READ the file back to me. It read. Then I rewrote the file back to the computer. It worked! It probably will not work with you. But it is worth a try. I still do not see your file or else I would take a look at it. Not that I am that experienced with this stuff. But I do have a descent transmission tune and I know a few things that would cause such a condition such as the other forum member stated above.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    found it! this must be an older version of hp tuners?

but I have never seen partial and wot shift mph at 318??? in the tcm for the torque converter to keep it unlocked I have seen this.

I think yours are way off compared to my tune and every other single tune I have seen. Maybe this is a different way of tuning. But I have never seen it before.

Look in the tune repository if you can. I do not see shift speeds at 318 on any of them.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmm, I'll give that a try, thanks. PM me your email and I'll just send it to you

Advanced Tuner
    Wait, I don't have any normal Trans shift tables set to 318.....where do you see that?

Advanced Tuner
    Btw I even tried the stock tune and it did the same thing.

I am using 2.4

Potential Tuner
    I have had bad TCM's on the Trucks but the always set codes and a lot of them but if your in doubt just get a used one. The last first time I had one come through I wasted 3 hours pulling off the pan checking wires inside the trans and to the tcm. Finally I figured it was the tcm called GM it was only 130$ but they didn't have one so I called the wrecker they had alot of them and wanted 33$ after tax.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettBennett View Post
    I have had bad TCM's on the Trucks but the always set codes and a lot of them but if your in doubt just get a used one. The last first time I had one come through I wasted 3 hours pulling off the pan checking wires inside the trans and to the tcm. Finally I figured it was the tcm called GM it was only 130$ but they didn't have one so I called the wrecker they had alot of them and wanted 33$ after tax.
    Hmmm well no codes here. Isn't it strange it shifts on the first 1-2 after a write entire. I might recommend changing the tcm first and see what happens

Advanced Tuner
    what is your pattern A? usually that is sport mode. that is where I see the very high mph.

by the way your timing table is nice. I see so many that are in the high 20s with ls3s. no power there.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    The pattern A isn't used. Thanks on the timing, I've had many a combination on the dyno lol

Advanced Tuner
    The pattern A isn't used. Thanks on the timing, I've had many a combination on the dyno lol
    well good luck! on the timing there was a recent article about a build on a new Camaro. they took away timing to 23 from 26 and gained 12 horsepower. with the heavy Camaro, g8, and the tbss low 20s create the most power with 91 or 93 octane. sorry to head this in a direction you were not looking for.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet