Thread: Odd question. Leaning out part throttle on turbo 5.3 with re-scaled MAF tune??

Tuner in Training

Odd question. Leaning out part throttle on turbo 5.3 with re-scaled MAF tune??

I had a buddy tune my car initially and the way he did it was to re-scale the MAF to be able to support more power. The car is a stock 5.3 with LS6 cam, 317 heads (8.6:1 comp), LS6 intake and TB, and a 76mm T4 turbo at 11 PSI. It pulls hard and smooth under WOT, but its running very rich just cruising around town (stays between 11.3 to 12.5 AFR on the wideband depending on throttle). It runs pretty well honestly, but the gas mileage is not what it should be for a stock 5.3 with a turbo on it. I only average about 14-16 mpg with combined city and highway driving. I'm not sure how to go about tuning part throttle driveability on this tune since I think the engine relies a lot on the re-scaled MAF sensor, so I am curious how to get part throttle closer to stoich? I blew the coupler off the TB once and it honestly died instantly and would not start back up, so I am thinking the VE table is not doing much or is not even close to what it should be.

Car has no O2 sensors and is running off the stock F body MAF and stock MAP sensor, and has mototron 60lbs injectors...stock fuel pressure as well. I'm just trying to get some better MPG out of this thing, so I am open for any suggestions. Down the road I'd like to go full SD tune, but for now I am just enjoying driving it.

Maybe a dumb question... how are you running it on the stock MAP sensor?
    1999 Chevy Blazer w/L31 5.7l Vortec and 0411 PCM.
    2005 Turbocharged Chevy Silverado Iron Block forged 402ci, 224/228/112 cam, 9.1:1, 1000cc FIC inj., Precision PT88, 4l80E/HD2, CircleD 3,200 E85 780whp/680wtq

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolaris502 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question... how are you running it on the stock MAP sensor?
    Not sure lol. I just started tuning with HP tuners and I had nothing to do with setting up the original tune. The car runs off the MAF under boost and it's re-scaled to support around 700ish HP. It's basically tricked in the tune to think it's flowing less air than it actually is so that it can in fact support more power.

I just finished tuning my brother's H/C 6.0 so I am not a total noob. His car runs extremely well, but I'm just not sure where to start with my setup considering the nature of the way the tune is done.