Thread: Idle Isues - Tune and Scan inside

Idle Isues - Tune and Scan inside

First off, the combination is a 403 LQ9 with AFR heads, F1A Procharger, 9.5 - 9.6 comp with a 2 Bar OS - soon to be 3 Bar with a 2.5 MAP sensor if I can ever get past this hurdle.

I've been trying to workout my high idle/lean condition and can not get a handle on whats going on. I've tried increasing the idle table slightly but then it goes rich and still runs high until it hits 190*. Then the idle will abruptly go down about 100rpm but still over the targeted 865 set point in the Base Idle table. Also, I've been working on the Base Idle Airflow and the numbers that come from the "Russ K Idle Airflow config" increases the idle speed. I also played with the "Afterstart Enrichment Table" which seemed to help after 190*. As I look at that table the values entered seems to be on the high (rich) side when multiplied by the OLFA vs Cooling Temp vs MAP table.

SOOOOOOOO, I decided to visit the Idle Proportional Tables and under "Airflow High P/N" its zeroed out. The same goes for the Intergral P/N table. I don't want to start messing with these numbers cause I don't know which way to go. I've already adjusted the VE table and it seems to be headed in the right direction. There's a lot more shit I've done and put back because it made the problem worse. I want to point this out one more time, after 190* it idles a little lower and smoother. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check it out and help me out.

Working Tune Idle Tuning.hpt

Working Tune T4.hpl

In the attached files the PCM is in OL.
    Last edited by monte4ever; 07-10-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Here's the Russ K Idle Airflow config that shows the slight drop in RPMs at about 190*.

Idle Airflow T1.hpl

Ok, I'm back with this and can't seem to get past this issue. The car idles very good = WHEN AT OPERATING TEMPS - but getting to that point is a headache. I've tried adjusting afterstart enrichment, Idle Airflow, Idle Speed, opening the TB, checking IaC counts etc........I've been all over the place with this and can't get this damn thing to start up and idle up to operating temps without it wanting to die out. Like said above once hot it idle oh so good. The above log in post one shows when it does whatever its doing. Here is the current tune. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help a noob out.

Working Tune VE 4 PRIMARY TUNE.hpt

Same as I posted on LS1 Tech July 12. Start by returning all the adaptive idle tables back to stock, as your STIT is fixed at 3.96 g/sec then drops to 0 at frame 3971.

Also, your VE table is very low. Wrong injector data?

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 07-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Same as I posted on LS1 Tech July 12. Start by returning all the adaptive idle tables back to stock, as your STIT is fixed at 3.96 g/sec then drops to 0 at frame 3971.

Also, your VE table is very low. Wrong injector data?

Russ Kemp
    Hey Russ k. I started with a mail order tune from a reputable, use to be sponsor on here and LS1tech so I don't have the stock files. Ive looked at some stock files and the numbers seemed low (.50 max/-1.00 min), but hey im still learning.Today however I did find a vacuum leak coming from my brand new brake booster which may have a lot to do with my situation. As far as the injectors are concerned, I trusted that the person who did my mail order tune inputted the info correctly. If you or anyone else would care to take a look and give me some guidance I would appreciate it. The injectors are EV14 - FIC 83lb for the LS1/LS2. I'm at work right now so that's all the info I can tell you ATM.

Could this by why I'm getting TERRIBLE gas mileage? Is way worse than my old 502 BBC.
    Last edited by monte4ever; 07-30-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Here is a stock 2000 Camaro A4 tune. And your IFR table is way too low, that's why your VE table is very low. Do you have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?

Russ Kemp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Russ K; 07-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Here is a stock 2000 Camaro A4 tune. And your IFR table is way too low, that's why your VE table is very low. Do you have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?

Russ Kemp
    Yes I have a Magnafuel boost reference FPR. How would I go about fixing the injector tables and would I have to redo the VE table? I haven't got into WOT tuning yet.

Here's some more info on the injectors: 83lb Bosch EV14 LS2, LS3, LS7 (83L829)

Flow Matched - Tests At 58PSI - Flow (864) / Rate (LB) / CC/LB 83

Quote Originally Posted by monte4ever View Post
    Yes I have a Magnafuel boost reference FPR. How would I go about fixing the injector tables and would I have to redo the VE table? I haven't got into WOT tuning yet.
    I would set the IFR table to 83 lbs/hr assuming that you fuel pressure is 58 lbs with the vacuum hose off. And I would double your VE table. I'm not a fan of boost referenced regulators as the stock IFR table only goes down to 0 kpa vacuum (0 in hg). So in boost, the VE table turns out lower than normal. What we need is a IFR table similar to a E38 that allows for boost. If I was tuning your car, I would remove the vacuum hose, and have a sloped IFR table.

Russ Kemp

So Russ K you would not use the formula 83x1.1547 and put the answer (95.8) in the IFR table for use with the vacuum referenced regulator? By the way, I emailed Fuel injector Connection and that's the calculation they gave me.
    Last edited by monte4ever; 08-07-2013 at 04:29 AM.

I changed the IFR tables and increased the VE table and have it idling decent in park. However, as soon as I put it in drive it cuts off. I tried increasing the Idle Airflow in gear table and it did not help. I also checked my IAC counts and my TPS position and volts. The counts came in at 100 hot idle and my TPS volts are at .43 with 0% throttle. Can someone give me a idea on where to start looking.
    Last edited by monte4ever; 08-09-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Next morning I went and started the car and it idled very low. It did not even do the normal cold start, high idle procedure. Oh well, back to squae one. Any whoo, after that let down I put my old tune in and got the IAC counts down to 85ish with 0% TPS and .45 volts.

UPDATE: I found out that the OS in my PCM was corrupt or something and upgraded to a 2002 Camaro custom OS from Ed Hutchings. The car is now 100% better. I still have some minor tweaks to do but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol. Thank you Ed, Blk02ws6, and Russ k for the help.
    Last edited by monte4ever; 10-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.