Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help, more problem than I have knowledge $50 if you can solve it.

Is there a common ground that would cause it?

Does anyone have a schematic for the power wires from the engine bay thru the ignition switch?

Advanced Tuner
    Move the power for your wideband directly to the battery to see if that fixes your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano7 View Post
    Move the power for your wideband directly to the battery to see if that fixes your issue.
    Tried that, no difference.

Senior Tuner
    You need to try and duplicate issue while stopped.
    Wiggle and tugging on the harness till you can locate the area.

Unplug the alternator to see if it makes a difference
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner
    My next check would be unplugging the alternator like mentioned. I noticed the ignition voltage drops down to 12.10v when it happens too. The connector going to the ignition switch is a 5 pin connector, the red wire is the fused battery feed.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

what is unplugging the alternator going to prove or disprove? I didn't do a pull but disconnecting the alternator dropped the voltage to 12.0-12.2.

Tuner
    You might have an alternator dropping out at high rpm. Just charge the battery (full charge 12.6v) and go run it to 5500 rpms and see what happens. It doesn't cost a thing and is the next logical step.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by keith42 View Post
    what is unplugging the alternator going to prove or disprove? I didn't do a pull but disconnecting the alternator dropped the voltage to 12.0-12.2.
    Sometimes the alternator is bad and causes problems like this, it's an easy test.
    Turn off all other electrical things like sound system and A/C, a fully charged battery can give you several WOT pulls without problem, you only need to do one then plug it back
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Sometimes the alternator is bad and causes problems like this, it's an easy test.
    Turn off all other electrical things like sound system and A/C, a fully charged battery can give you several WOT pulls without problem, you only need to do one then plug it back
    OK thanks, I'll try that, I did replace the stock alternator with a larger truck alternator when this started happening. I thought the stock alternator seemed marginal.

I think I found the wiring issue on my Firehawk, this morning I was doing some inspecting of wires and I noticed a very small spark. gauge 4 starter wire, visually it looked fine. But with the thermo sleeve which has aluminum coating for heat protection is over the wire there is voltage leakage.

I think this just might be enough to cause a issue creating resistance in the grounds.

Tuner in Training
    Had the same issue in a truck i built during hard acceleration the battery would tip back and ground the positive terminal on the inner fender.