Thread: e38 Bricked.. kinda..

Tuner in Training

e38 Bricked.. kinda..

So I was tuning my own personal car last night, talking to a customer on the phone.. blah blah... Right before the write was complete I turned the car off.

Well I went to start it and it started but runs terrible. Pcm is in PE, tries to idle at 400rpm and thinks its at 105kpa. Runs like it is on 5 cylinders. I can still read and write to the computer but nothing happens.

Is it possible that you can kinda brick a pcm? The next question is, if it is bricked, 1. can a tech2 reflash back to factory and fix the corrupt pcm or 2. if I buy a pcm of ebay and they program my vin in it, will I have to buy credits all over again.

David

Did you try and pull the power from the ecu overnight?

Different ECU=more credits.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

I don't know if this will help but you might try a write entire. Keep in mind that you really can brick it doing this.
    2006 LS2 Corvette
    Automatic
    2.56 gear
    600 HP Edelbrock E Force Kit
    No other mods

Don't unhook the ECM from power when a write fails!!!

Try re-writing the file and the ECM should be in recovery mode. Hard to brick a E38 but there is no need in unhooking it from the battery.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    well a write entire didnt work..

Dont worry do this.

Take the ecm fuses out and try starting it.

Put the ecm fuse back in and try starting the car cranking for about 3 seconds

THen plug laptop back in and do normal write, it will go into recovery, its just in shock right now, disconnecting power is fine done it many times just seems to always catch after the starting deal.