Thread: low end poping and lean

Tuner in Training

low end poping and lean

I've been trying to dial in my VE table but it seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere so I bought the Greg Banish DVD and have set up the scanner (using lambda) and tune to his instructions. I do not have a dyno so I've been cruising the highway to get my data. I figured I could at least get it close. After my first run I made my corrections to the main VE table and went out again only it doesn't seemed to have helped much I'm still way lean in the low rpms and map ranges and the truck stumbles and pops. I'm not sure if this could be a fuel pump problem the fuel pump is for a 4.3l v6 and I have a 6.0l with ls3 heads,intake and a asa cam in an s-10 so the pump might no be able to keep up but I would have expected it to be in the higher rpms. Maybe I'm just being impatient and need to keep going. I would appreciate it if someone could look at my scans and tune and give me some feedback thank you.

I only applied corrections from the first scan (first run to hopewell) look at histogram 10.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Stop driving until you have a solution. You are pretty much in state of constant knock retard while driving and going to hurt something. Do you have a maf code set while driving? Not sure you are actually failing maf. Also, you o/s is older and you have secondary ve table. If you are failing your maf you are running off the secondary ve table which is only half resolution. You need to apply a custom operating system or update to a newer o/s.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 07-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ok i will try applying a custom os i see i have two choices a 1 bar map-speed density enhanced or a 1bar maf-enhanced i do not want to get rid of my maf so which one should i use the 1 bar maf-enhanced?. I believe i am failing the maf because i set the fail hertz to 0. thank you for the help.

Tuner in Training
    after i update my os should i just richen up the whole ve table to help prevent getting so much knock and start again from there?

Senior Tuner
    You have a pm

Advanced Tuner
    When you fail the maf you run off the secondary ve table. So when you make changes to the primary table you have to make the changes to the secondary table. The secondary table has all the even map #'s. If you don't change the secondary table while your tuning you will never get anywhere.