Thread: Disabling Passlock

Potential Tuner

Disabling Passlock

New here, not a tuner by any stretch, looking for advice.

I spent way too much time trying to get a 5.3L in a 99 GMC Sierrato fire up. It would crank and fire using starter fluid but then shut off. I ruled out the pump, filter and regulator and finally figured out it was the PASSLOCK security that was killing the signal to the injectors. I got the the truck running doing the relearn procedure but the light stays on. Anyhow I was wondering if a real tuner can disable this system completey, having the truck stolen is the least of my worries and would probably be a blessing. So is this something that can be done and is there someone in central PA that can do this?

Update: I found a local shop that can rewrite the stock tune with PASSLOCK (VATS) set to None. That should take care of the injectors ever becoming disabled due to the GM anti-theft system. Now the unknown is if this retune will eliminate the SECURITY light on the dash. I'm thinking the BCM will continue to send the signal to the light and for that matter the ECM but the ECM won't care when VATS = None. Any ideas how to turn the light off?
    Last edited by Old Timer4; 07-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Update to original post.