Thread: Problem with P0606 and engine shutting off on LS7 crate engine and E67 VCM

Potential Tuner

Problem with P0606 and engine shutting off on LS7 crate engine and E67 VCM

We have an E24 M6 with an LS7 crate engine and E67 VCM. Prior to me coming to this shop the car was tuned by some shop using EFI live and the car ran fine. Once I started tuning the car with HPTuners we started experiencing a problem with the engine shutting off at WOT and throwing only a P0606 code, Control Module Internal Performance. The only time I've seen this issue in the past is when the airflow delta tables were exceeded and the associated code. I've tried increasing airflow delta tables and disabling P0606 check to no luck.

Looking at other people having the same problem it seems that most of them took the car to the dealer to get reflashed and that seemed to solve their issue. We took the car to a dealer here in San Diego and didn't have any luck being able to reflash the PCM. The VIN number in the PCM reads 19166571_ls7_GMPP, neither the Dealer flash tool nor HPTuners will accept this as a valid VIN number for reflashing. I tried using a valid 07 Z06 vin number to reflash the PCM and the tool the dealer was using came up with programming errors. I think this is due in large part that Z06's use the E38 PCM and the GMPP crate engines use E67's.

At this point we're sort of at a loss. Being that the car ran just fine on the EFI live tune I can't help but think the PCM firmware somehow has become corrupt. The dealer doesn't have the ability to reflash crate engine E67's and I can't load a clean E67 file because HPTuners won't accept the VIN number that exists in the VCM.

Any ideas how to address this issue beyond this point?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I suggest posting the current .hpt file as well as the file you originally read from the pcm so we can see what changes you've made to the calibration.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Here are both files. The one labeled dump is what originally came off of the VCM.

Frank100octnoalcohol.hpt
    Frankdump.hpt

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    likely the changes you made to the desired throttle area table.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"