Thread: 6L80E Issues round 2

Potential Tuner

6L80E Issues round 2

Hi , Im new to HP Tuners having just purchased the program. Therefore I have limited experience. Im working hard to learn. As Im in Australia I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone can give advice to some issues Im having. One of the first jobs I have gotten into is a conversion of a L98 6 litre with a 6L80 transmisiion into a 80 series Toyota Landcuiser. I have been told it is about the same size and weight as a Cadillac Escallade. All the conversion has gone fairly well except some shifting issues with the transmission. When travelling at any speed below 110 kph 65mph it keeps shifting in and out of 6th gear. It does this like every 200 metres all throught he speed range. Also after the transmiaaion has warmed up it will do a very harsh down shift selecting a gear lower than what is hould (2nd gear) at aroung 50kph 30mph. The engine and transmisiion is out of an 2008 Holden Commodore. I have used the fly by wire accelarator pedal and have put an extra speed sensor. I am more inclined to see if I can get hold of an Escalade transmission tune. As it is around the same weight and size as a vehicle. We have altered all shift patterns by the speed log but it sill has very harsh downs shift when you slow down from 100km-75km, drops down 2 gears. up shift is perfect. Some ideas or help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Jarrod
    ps thanks to shriek for your helpful advice. And it is a 2008 model
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    hi mate any luck with getting your transmission working correctly
    i am also having a hard time getting my Y61 Nissan Patrol with a L98 6 litre and 6L80 transmission from a 2008 ve ss to shifting correctly
    Last edited by julian14588; 12-22-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Potential Tuner
    This might be the blind leading the blind but I used Bluecat's software to alter the shifts on my silverado with the 6l80e after some adjustments to my tune and it is nearly perfect now.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Table-Software

I want to thank Bluecat for this great piece of software. Not many people would have done what he did and put it up for free.

Quote Originally Posted by camo61 View Post
    Hi , Im new to HP Tuners having just purchased the program. Therefore I have limited experience. Im working hard to learn. As Im in Australia I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone can give advice to some issues Im having. One of the first jobs I have gotten into is a conversion of a L98 6 litre with a 6L80 transmisiion into a 80 series Toyota Landcuiser. I have been told it is about the same size and weight as a Cadillac Escallade. All the conversion has gone fairly well except some shifting issues with the transmission. When travelling at any speed below 110 kph 65mph it keeps shifting in and out of 6th gear. It does this like every 200 metres all throught he speed range. Also after the transmiaaion has warmed up it will do a very harsh down shift selecting a gear lower than what is hould (2nd gear) at aroung 50kph 30mph. The engine and transmisiion is out of an 2008 Holden Commodore. I have used the fly by wire accelarator pedal and have put an extra speed sensor. I am more inclined to see if I can get hold of an Escalade transmission tune. As it is around the same weight and size as a vehicle. We have altered all shift patterns by the speed log but it sill has very harsh downs shift when you slow down from 100km-75km, drops down 2 gears. up shift is perfect. Some ideas or help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Jarrod

I have exactly the same issue , how did you resolve yours ?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...dden+downshift

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by camo61 View Post
    Cheers Jarrod
    Issue still unsolved?

Yes , am afraid so. Two months and counting. I checked all the wiring and cleared all the codes including crank relearn.

It is still a stock tune , so I have not played with the tran tune , apart from disabling shift skip for downshift.

Have you come across this before ?

Advanced Tuner
    In our experience it seems to be a standard feature of Holden tunes used in conversions - i.e. no BCM. Try setting the Hot Shift speeds to the same as normal and see if it resolves.

Yes it seems the no BCM is the common domination for such an issue. I will try your suggestion and see how it goes.

Did you ever manage to resolve it completely ?

What about the shift speeds themselves , did you play with these tables , widening the gaps to avoid overlaps ??

Tuner in Training
    i have been playing around with mine for the last week and i have got it a lot better then it was but it still not 100%

the box will now stay in 6th and converter lock up over 90-95 kph but any thing under that it will shift been tween gears normally between 5 and 4 some times 6th

things i have noticed making a lot of difference for me once i had the shifts feeling better was playing with the speedometer settings in general settings in speedometer by changing the final drive ratio (T Err) and vss pulses per (Dist- T Err)

if i droped the final drive ratio to 2.0 in T Err section it would not shift been between gears once cruising at speed but on the down side it would shift way to early 6th befor id hit 60 ect
    and doing 60kph in 6th gear with the converter locked up causes way to much vibration through my mounts.

if i put the diff ratios that my patrol runs (4.62) or changed the speedometer gear/tire ratio it seems to shift a lot nicer up and down shift like it should but once up to speed cruising it would shift up and down between gears mostly 4 5 6

right now i am using 3.0 in the T Err section and 777.77 in my Dist- T Err section

i also have the option of selecting P R N D it will not alow me to select drive low or drive2 im only using the patrol shifter but i have connected up it up to use P R N D D2 DL not sure if you guys have this problem 2

same issue at cruzing , shifting back and forth between 6-5-4. With my PRND , i get D6 which gives me all 6 gear , D5 which only gives first gear ! , D2 1st and 2nd and D1 first gear.

Did you connect the brake signal to your ECM , or your system is not aware of your brake signal at all. By the way , are you still able to use your 4WD in your Nissan , just curious how you connected to your Nissan transfer box.

Tuner in Training
    i think i may have finally got mine working correctly will be testing this week. im not sure if the brake signal is connected up i sent the harness off to get done. yeah i still have 4WD the transfer case is connected up to the transmission using an adaptor from marks 4WD adaptors . is yours still 4WD? are you using the cruiser auto shifter?

What did you do to think you've got it working.
    Yes , in this project (Blazer MY 1994) my 4WD is connected and working , I had to machine the input shaft so it will fit into the transfer case of the Blazer.

I have another project I''ve done few years back where I installed a 7 ltr LS3 in a Nissan. There I kept the Patrol's manual gear box and controlled the engine with a Holley ECU and wideband , managed 450 RWHP on the dyno. If I manage to get the A6 on the Blazer fixed then I will be thinking of throwing a 6L80 into the Nissan as well. Not sure how I will control that but will cross that bridge when I get there. Right now need to tame this 6L80e which seems to have a mind of its own.

Look forward to hear how yousr does , good luck.

Tuner in Training
    is your engine and tcm from the same vehicle or similar year/model series ect. mixed matched tcm and ecm wont talk to each other and you went end up damaging your box , trust me i found out the hard way. it may give you a fault code that the tcm has no communication or some where around those lines. try playing around with your auto shift speeds under part throttle shift check them out make sure none are doing any thing weird and even copy say the tables from the normal pattern if they look all good and past them over the other tables in pattern a and b and have a play around with your shift pattern type . i am running pattern a in crusie and pattern b in normal i then adjusted the tables auto shift speeds under part throttle shift to suit my vehicle (test driving around a lot to fine tune it ) but i copied and past the same tables from normal to pattern A -B hot ect what ever needed it , iv also played around with the Vss Error ratios in the speedo section but that was awhile back it helped a bit to get it running smooth but didn't fix my contanly shifting problem

let me know how you go, give me a message if you want some more advice, sorry i didnt really have to much time right now to explain my self very well, good luck mate

Tuner in Training
    put up ur latest tune i can have a look at it might be able to give u some better advice