Thread: opel speedster compatibility ???

Potential Tuner

opel speedster compatibility ???

hello , i have mapped my chevy camaro finely with vcm suite .
    I wish to acquire a opel (vauxhall) Speedster (VX220) 2001-2005 but I not see it in the compatibility list, yet it is equipped with the 2.2 140hp ecotec used by pontiac and chevy including the ion, malibu, G5. ..
    I already have the equipment and license hptuners gm but I have a doubt about the possibility of reprogramming the ECU.
    information?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Do you know what Ecu they run the motors with?

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Do you know what Ecu they run the motors with?
    Think it's called a "GMPT-15" ecu and totally not compatible with HPTuners.

Depending what you want with the Speedster/VX220, you can use the "OBD-Tuner" programmer for this ecu.
    Or swap with a Saab B207 engine and fit the LSJ P12 ecu + harness and slam a supercharger on it. Get 282HP with that set-up in my Speedster...

for the weight and price it would be more worth it to swap an AN20NHT complete harness and ecu from a cobalt or hhr.
    350 crank hp~ and 370 crank trq~ factory and since you will have to do piping which will guarantee no pinching of tubes then you can expect wheel numbers around 320 whp and 350 wtrq at rough guess of course.

its a lot of work i know, but if its for sure a 2.2 you may be able to find out what year it is and select an appropriate factory ecu to custom swap into the existing harness as to lower the price by not performing a full swap.

i would highly recommend a 2.2 cobalt or solstice because those vehicles are closer to the actual weight of the vx220 and will not be as far off in calibration.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    there seems to be a DELCO Z22SE the car is a year 2003

You'd probably need to run an upgrade to be able to have calibrating options. Meaning a cavalier Ecu if I'm remembering correctly will be the one for that year and its alpha n technology which is a pain even without boost. But if you rewire an lsj or 2.2 2007 Ecu properly you will be able to tune it very smoothly and have easier time with boost if your going to go that way. Better injector control, larger fuel / spark tables, and the map and maf can be used through the entire rpm range if so desired unlike alpha n which is tps x rpm and map at idle/coast down only.

The delco from what I see requires a special chip burner EEPROM burner which is not an hpt available item.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    You'd probably need to run an upgrade to be able to have calibrating options. Meaning a cavalier Ecu if I'm remembering correctly will be the one for that year and its alpha n technology which is a pain even without boost. But if you rewire an lsj or 2.2 2007 Ecu properly you will be able to tune it very smoothly and have easier time with boost if your going to go that way. Better injector control, larger fuel / spark tables, and the map and maf can be used through the entire rpm range if so desired unlike alpha n which is tps x rpm and map at idle/coast down only.

^^
    Problem with this is that the Z22SE engine (=L61) has the 6-1 trigger pattern with wasted spark and the other HPT compatible ecu's use the 58-2 pattern.
    Depending on what power you want with the car, it might be easier/cheaper to simply swap the complete engine + ecu.
    Where are you from, driving a Speedster?

Turbo cobalt, Florida. And for the price then an aftermarket stand alone with have larger fuel and timing maps than factory and be cheaper than a swap. Megasquirt and aem have great low cost Ecu's.

Potential Tuner
    i leave in france . the engine swap is so easy for me , the problem is for importation ...

Quote Originally Posted by stephaneg View Post
    i leave in france . the engine swap is so easy for me , the problem is for importation ...

Ah, I'm driving a Speedster in the Netherlands.

You say that an engine swap to Saab B207/Opel Z20NET (= Ecotec 2.0 LSJ engine) + LSJ ecu is no problem for you, but "importation" is? You mean registration of it in France, or yearly control? Will turbo- or Supercharging be a problem in France?

If you're interested, I have a complete LSJ ecu + harness set that I can adapt for use in a Speedster. PLug & play.