Thread: Nitrous timing retard via the TCS retard vs. RPM tables?

Nitrous timing retard via the TCS retard vs. RPM tables?

So I thought a good way to pull timing on a car I'm tuning would be to run a ground wire triggered by a relay to the tcs timing retard pin at the pcm. Everything works perfectly, until 5900 rpms, at which point the timing that is being pulled goes away and timing is logged as the same timing as is in the main spark table.

The ground supply to the pcm has been verified for the entire run....much higher than the 5900 rpm cut off on the log. Does this method of timing retard for nitrous simply not work? Is there a time limit that the tcs retard will function?

I have it set to pull 8 degrees of timing but at 5900 rpms the retard goes away like clock work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    not sure what OS you are using but may wanna give this one a look. Its a 2002 chevy truck OS

Untitled.png

The vehicle is a 2000 Camaro. Under the OS tab, the 1 bar MAF enhanced tab has been applied. Would this have anything to do with my issue? The car came to me previously tuned in this manor. I have since removed the MAF and have tuned the car speed density. I would like to apply the 1 bar map speed density tab, but I can't because this has already been applied. Since I'm not the original tuner and I don't have the original file what should I do? Load a different file into the car and change the vin and then copy over all the differences from the current file? Is there a better way than just copying over each and every difference one at a time?

I have never had to do this so I'm not sure how to really go about it. As far as what OS I'm running, would it be possible to tune it as some other vehicle / os? Just not sure if I follow how a 2002 chevy truck OS could help me on this 2000 Camaro...

Tick you can do a comparison and under comparison do view all differences then under engine right click and copy over all differences, then do rest of tabs, this will copy every table instantly.

You can put the file back to a stock file (any 2000 OS) and then after you put it back with a write entire, do another write entire for the new 1 bar map OS, done.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

I have seen another 2000 camaro that had a timing retard set up this exact way from another tuner. Now I wonder if that car actually pulls timing on a full pass at the track....or maybe just for a few seconds. The way I tested this on the dyno without the spray actually flowing made for a long pull in terms of time. Looking at the log this car pulled timing for about 4 seconds exactly. You can see where the timing pulls out at 3500 rpms via the window switch and gives it back at 5900 rpms even though the window is set to 6500.

The previous car I worked on would blow through the whole dyno pull with the nitrous on in less than 4 seconds...and I never tested a full pass pulling timing on motor as I have done with this car. And I'm sure the previous tuner didn't log the car at the track either.

Has anyone else successfully pulled timing like this? Maybe I'll just switch things around to the iat method instead tomorrow if no one chimes in.

Thanks Ben, I didn't realize those changes could be copied over like that! How about changing the vin? If I take a file from a different 2000 car I have tuned and "write entire" what happens with the vin? Just do the write entire then do the "change vin" under "flash"?

You'll have to license that other tune. Then change the vin and write entire as you mentioned. and VATS relearn BS in most cases.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.