Thread: Ignition timing wont match up

Tuner in Training

Ignition timing wont match up

Hello all, I am having a weird issue that is kicking my butt with a friends car. The car just will not run the ignition timing that I am requesting. There is no knock retard that I can see, I have all the torque management off as far as I know. Any help would be great! I am new to the lsj tuning.

The car in question is a 2006 cobalt ss super charged. We dont know what pulley or injectors for sure as it was purchased off a lot modded. It will spike 20 psi and hold 17-18 ish. Afr is in the low 11s.

Calibration and log are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

copy and paste the high octane table to the low octane table i believe will fix the issue.

Does the car have stock exhaust and does the pulley have bolts in the end of it? Also since your scanner is not showing iat2 I wonder if car is pulling timing cause the temps are to high.
    Last edited by laser_racer; 06-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    Does the car have stock exhaust and does the pulley have bolts in the end of it? Also since your scanner is not showing iat2 I wonder if car is pulling timing cause the temps are to high.
    im fairly sure. timing gets pulled due to iat1. bass ackwards for sure, but i have never had timing pulled up to 165* iat2. and the tune says to pull at 140 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by GM COBALT SC SS View Post
    im fairly sure. timing gets pulled due to iat1. bass ackwards for sure, but i have never had timing pulled up to 165* iat2. and the tune says to pull at 140 or so.
    Did you mean to put ia2 not 1? Max you might look in to either using a different config or add some more stuff to yours so we can get some more info on the car.

Did you mean to put ia2 not 1? Max you might look in to either using a different config or add some more stuff to yours so we can get some more info on the car.
    i may be wrong, but i have read and am under the impression that the iat spark table pulls timing based on the iat1 sensor

The lsj uses iat2 cause if you intercooler isnt working there would be no way the car could pull timing to keep it from melting down.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the lnf uses the same style maf as lsj. these sensors have temp sensors built in so as stated by laser_racer there is no way the ecu controls timing off of IAT1. IAT1 is only used as for barometric temp calculations and to help in calculating the efficiency of the factory post-supercharger intercooler system.

IAT2 is the most important since it is proving data for air that is milliseconds away from entering the cylinder. figuratively speaking here: if you were installing a stand alone ecu and decided to only use IAT sensor to save money, where exactly would you put it?

for those who haven't been involved or looked at whats required for a stand alone unit, yes you can 100% run the motor with only 1 IAT sensor.

Now if you answered, i would install it in "X" location and "X" is anywhere but the intake manifold. You are as wrong as two boys in a phone booth.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

i understand that using iat1 would be pointless for deciding timing, but i have read on css.net multiple times that it was based on iat1. i guess i shouldve considered the source though lol.

sorry for spreading misinformation. ill have to watch for this the next time im logging.

you have an account here...there is no reason to listen to any information posted on a general public forum about tuning. this is the place to be my friend lol

The lsj uses iat2 cause if you intercooler isnt working there would be no way the car could pull timing to keep it from melting down.
    Did you actually check this on an LSJ?
    As stated here earlier and not logic, on the LSJ it looks like Spark is pulled with IAT1 and fuel enrichment due to IAT2...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post
    Did you actually check this on an LSJ?
    As stated here earlier and not logic, on the LSJ it looks like Spark is pulled with IAT1 and fuel enrichment due to IAT2...
    that is what i thought as well. ill check soon. my iat2s get up over 150 in the summer easy lol. stock cooling on a 2.8" pulley lol

too many conflicting answers here. just do us a favor and please dont be that guy who just asks for the answer. i hate those people with a passion because they destroy peoples projects. some of them are super expensive and have put people in a bind just to get them put together. do this the right way.

isolate the tables function by forcing a change to occur during the range of the iat temp. whichever sensor follows the iat temp accordingly with the forced change will be the answer to the question. you can show us the log and tune so we can see your findings and then everyone here will shut their traps and accept the good information you provided to the forum.

at least this way someone or even multiple people will have learned that much more about vcm suite operational techniques. knowing how to diagnose and use vcm suite is much much more better than just getting the answer handed on a plate. now you can use the same general technique to figure out other problems.

short rant but for its general purpose i believe it was worth it.

i hope im wrong and that it is due to iat2. ill find out. i assumed it wasnt from word of mouth

it shouldnt be hard to test though. just gotta find the time. in the mean time, dont hate me too bad for being that guy

I don't hate anyone. It's message was intended to be general but I couldn't seem to write it out any better than I did.
    In general ppl tend to say they want to learn but all they do is ask for the answer. I just want to push people back into learning since you get so much more out of it in the end.