Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap job : 6.2 Denali into a 1994 Blazer. How do I control the old 4L60e

Swap job : 6.2 Denali into a 1994 Blazer. How do I control the old 4L60e

Hi,

I am planning to install a 6.2 engine from Denali MY 2010 into a 1994 Blazer (which had 5.3 TBI and 4L60e transmission). I have the ECU (with its stock tune) and the harness of the 6.2 and plan to use to run the engine. However, I am not so sure on the strategy to control the 4L60e tranny.

My options , in order of preference
    1) re-flash the 6.2 ECU to control the 4L60e (instead of the 6L80e in the stock tune).
    2) Leave the old ECU of the 5.3 TBI in place to control the 4L60e , find way to provide RPM and and TPS (piggy back mode of some sort).
    3) get an after market Transmission Controller to manage the 4L60e , and disable the transmission sections in the current tune of the 6.2 ECU.
    4) Get an aftermarket system for the whole lot (last resort).

My question is , can I do option 1 , Is there a tune out there that keeps the stock tune to run the 6.2 engine but replaces the parts of the tranny to a 4L60e.

will appreciate any help or leads on this matter , thanks in anticipation !

Tuner in Training
    you could reuse the ecu for the 6.2 and run that old 4l60 or u can reuse that harness and both engine and transmission ecu and drop a 4l60 out of an 02+ in it. i would personally buy an engine harness and 4l60 out of a 99+ with the computer and but crank and cam extension harnesses from racetronix. swap the reluctor wheel or use the lingenfelter conversion box

Thanks for your reply . Let me verify what you've suggested , are you saying a model 99+ ECU , Harness and 4L60e ?

I can understand a later model ECU (99+) will be more programable to control the 4L60e than the pre-OBD2 one I have from 1994 but :

1) why do I need to buy another 4L60e , I thought the 1994 I have is the same as the latest 4L60e, they havent changed anything in it ?
    2) Will an ECU from the 99+ be able to run the modern 6.2 engine.? Or did you mean it was only for the transmission and I use the 6.2 with its own ECU. In which case I am still left with the issue of feeding RPM, TPS and VSS to the 99+ ECU.

I am now more inclined to get the 6.2 ECU programmed to handle the 4L60e. I just wonder if there is such a tune already in existence that I can download !!.

Which ECU do you have? (for the 6.2)
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

6.2 Engine , ECU and Harness all from the same donor truck , Denali 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by abumalik View Post
    ... 1) why do I need to buy another 4L60e , I thought the 1994 I have is the same as the latest 4L60e, they havent changed anything in it ?
    The 1993 & 1994 4L60E transmissions are unique to themselves - they don't use a TCC PWM solenoid control valve (similar to a 4L80E). Additionally, a 1994 4L60 will have a Gen I style bell housing - requiring that the 6.2L be equipped with a different flexplate and a spacer. Also, the 6.2L will destroy that transmission in short order - unless driven very conservatively.

... 2) Will an ECU from the 99+ be able to run the modern 6.2 engine.? ...
    Yes - but only IF, you either replace the CKP reluctor with a 24x model and replace the CMP sensor with a 1x model, or you use a converter box (from Lingenfelter).

... I am now more inclined to get the 6.2 ECU programmed to handle the 4L60e. I just wonder if there is such a tune already in existence that I can download !!.
    The 2010 E38 ECM that came with your 6.2L will only control the engine - there are no provisions to have it also control an electronic transmission.

Quite frankly, you have a lot of research to do on this swap, or you will end up frustrated and will spend money going in circles.

6.2 Engine , ECU and Harness all from the same donor truck , Denali 2010.
    You need also the T42 TCM to control the transmission, because the ECM can only control the engine as Shrek says.
    There are wiring differences and one solenoid missing between the two transmissions, you will need some electrical rework. Then you need proper ECM and TCM operating systems to make it work.
    Unless it's a very expensive transmission I don't think it's worth the time and expense to make it work. I have done a lot of swaps and the few times I was asked to do this I told the owner to forget about it and buy a new 4L60E.
    I am sure it is possible to make it work, it's just easier and faster to sell the older 4L60E and buy a new one.

You will spend more money to adapt the old 60E than buying a new one. Time is money
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Many thanks to all for your help , I guess I need to go back to the drawing board and heavy reading for few days. BUt just before I set off, will a late model 4L60e stock do the job or should I be thinking an after market upgrade. My main application will be sand dunes and rock climbing , no drag strips.

A stock 4L60E will not last for long behind a 6.2
    I know nothing about sand or rock crawlers, but I think a 6L80E is better for you. The huge 1st gear may help you a lot and it is a very strong transmission. The best thing is, it will work with stock tune and wiring.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

That is the same thought I woke up with this morning , but will fit as a bolt on or major mechanical work required. If it fits then I am home and dry and can just focus on tuning for performance (if still required!)

it would seem doable

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...e-swap-472501/

searching for 6L80e ....

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your reply . Let me verify what you've suggested , are you saying a model 99+ ECU , Harness and 4L60e ?

I can understand a later model ECU (99+) will be more programable to control the 4L60e than the pre-OBD2 one I have from 1994 but :

1) why do I need to buy another 4L60e , I thought the 1994 I have is the same as the latest 4L60e, they havent changed anything in it ?
    2) Will an ECU from the 99+ be able to run the modern 6.2 engine.? Or did you mean it was only for the transmission and I use the 6.2 with its own ECU. In which case I am still left with the issue of feeding RPM, TPS and VSS to the 99+ ECU.

I am now more inclined to get the 6.2 ECU programmed to handle the 4L60e. I just wonder if there is such a tune already in existence that I can download !!.
    1: read shreks post #3

2: yes an ECU from a 99-07 can run the 6.2 engine and 99-07 4l60-65-70-80 transmission ) its alot easier to get it running since youre cable driven tb already u should get a 99-02 ecu. if you use a 03-07 ECU you will need a pedal assembly and harness so your ecu can read the signals from it to the electronic throttle body.

I have the 2010 6.2 with its ECU and harness and want to keep that setup together without any change. I have already gotten the drive by wire pedal and throttle and function tested the setup , all working OK. Now I want to controle the tarnny and from the advise about the torque capability of the 4L60e I am now sort of sold to get a 6L80e. I now hope the 6L80e I find (with its built in TCM) will be of the same DNA as my E38 ECU and not get an organ reject. I have been reading a lot about the 6.2 refusing to crank because the of several variances out there. Will see....

UPDATE

I found my self a hardly used 6L90E. After 3 months of hard work ! , I managed to to install the new engine (2010 6.2) and the 6L90E into the 1994 Trailbazer. Had to modify the input shaft to the 4WD transfer , front and rear shafts and few other minor mods here and there to get everything mechanically fit in place. The drive by wire connected to the harness of ECM/TCM and all the required relays to run the system (4 relays).

The engine will crank but will not start. I could not read the Tune from the ECM (came with the engine). So I copied the tune from my DD Denali XL and performed write Entire (cost 4 credits ). Again , cranking but not starting. I tried to enable/diable few parameters but now it will not let me save calibration or write entire any more (fails at step 4 Preparing VCM (I Bootloader Downlood time out). So now I am completely stuck.
    with the ignition on i get most of the static sensors working OK. At cranking the RPM sensor is picking signal OK. Attached is the tune file and DTC errors log.

DTCs-TahDen25-8-13.txt

Any idea whats wrong and why I get the Botaloader Download timeout error. I also tried to diable VATS , but I cant find it in the editor under System/General ( am I looking in the wrong place).

Will appreciate any help to take me a step forward.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    you need to disable the vats so it will turn on, in the file named "family dinali" next to the "engine" tab on the left of it there is a tab that has the hp tuners logo, its a blue logo and the tab says "OS" click it then disable VATS 1 VATS 2, do a write vin/tunerlock/vats and if everything is right it should turn on

This is what I get from that menu , all options are grayed except the 2 bar MAP (see Image 1). I am using the stock 6.2 so I am guessing it is a 1 bar MAP.

when I save the file under a different name , then all options are grayed out (image 2).

in all I am yet to see the VATS , where am I going wrong ?

Image 1 (hpeditor screen).PNGImage2 (hpeditor screen).PNG

I am guessing may be because I don't have the 2007 year/model licence. I have been working with year model 2002 since I started with HPTuners I forgot about any thing else!.

Can someone please confirm that this is the issue before I commit to the upgrade ?

So to clarify , I have the tune file from GMC Yukon 2007 and flashed it into Cadillac Esclade 2007. I have licensed both as single vehicles. Do I then need a licence for model/year 2007 as well ? and which one , for the ECM or the tune file
    Image 3 (Licence Info).PNG

After more reading , I believe I already have enough licensing privileges already. I just need to sort the bootdownlad issue and find where is the VATS settings in a 2007 tune file. I still can not find it.

This is a bit embarrassing , but I found that my editor settings were at beginner level and hence I could not see the VATS settings , cost me 2 days of

So I disabled the VATS and then had to contend with the Bootloader download timeout issue. Tried everything that was recommended in the forum but no joy. So unplugged the VCM from the Blazer and plugged into the family Denali. Was able to Write Entire from first attempt without an issue ( I guess it is a proof that wiring and not VCM is behind the bootloader issue). Cranked the Denali and it started. Removed the ECM and plugged it back in the Blazer , it started from the first crank.

Next , complete the exhaust installations and then take to the street to see how the 6L90E behaves with the Blazer diff ratio. Almost there....

Thanks for all those who supported