Thread: 5.3 swap into 57 chevy is now running and driving

Tuner in Training

5.3 swap into 57 chevy is now running and driving

First i want to say thanks for the help so far, the truck runs and drives good.

the 5.3 LM7 is from a 2000 GMC sierra pickup with the 4L60E tranny
    nothing has been upgraded, but the air intake tube is now aftermarket to fit under hood of 57 truck.

but that makes my IAT temps way to high while stopped so plan b will have to cut sheetmetal to get cold air in there.

but i have attached the files from my swap, and if you could look over them and see if you find anything obviously wrong that i have done or not done.
    you will not hurt my feelings, this is my first LS swap, so still learning every day.5 21 13 drive w comments.hplchevy truck 5 1 13.hpt

first part of log file is interstate driving about 2 min in and then next marker about 12 min in is exiting interstate, then its country road driving

Tuner in Training
    well i have ran the first tank of fuel through the truck and i got 22.5mpg out of it, so i dont guess i am doing anything to bad

Tuner in Training
    well went on hot rod power tour and made it 3100 miles in 10 days.

only thing was code p0305 kept coming up, i swapped coil wire between 5 and 7, to see if the code moved, but it didnt, so i swapped the coil itself, and still code p0305

GM tech on power tour suggested swapping fuel injector or it could be a bad wire back to PCM

any other ideas?

and code only comes on when stopped in traffic while idling, never while driving. only if stopped for a few minutes, like on the power tour traffic jams ha ha

Tuner in Training
    Did you get it fixed? If the injector did not help check the intake gaskets . The orange one tend to leak vacuum.
    2004 avalanche z71 4x4 5.3 turbonetics t62 turbo ,z06 cam 4l80e.

1966 nova stock 5.3 ,t66 turbonetics turbo ,z06 cam,700r4 trans 3.73.

Tuner in Training
    i have not fixed it yet, was planning on working on it on vacation week coming up.

is there a trick to getting the fuel rail off the LM7 truck motors?

just so i can show my stupidity, a vacuum leak on cyl 5 would cause a lean condition in that cyl? right?

Tuner in Training
    the fuel rail is easy to remove its 4 bolts and the fuel line or lines if its a return system. you just pull up on the rail and the o-rings will pop out of the intake. put grease on the o-ring to reinstall. the intake can be removed with the rail left on it . just unhook the fuel lines and unbolt it. I would spray cab clean around the #5 cylinder to check for a vacuum leak. also look at the fuel pressure regulator vac hose if its a 2 line system. pull off the hose when the engines running and make sure its not leaking fuel out of it. I just did a 5.3 swap into a jeep and it had 3 driping injectors so it could also have a stuck injector. good luck.
    2004 avalanche z71 4x4 5.3 turbonetics t62 turbo ,z06 cam 4l80e.

1966 nova stock 5.3 ,t66 turbonetics turbo ,z06 cam,700r4 trans 3.73.