Thread: lsx s10 new build

Potential Tuner

lsx s10 new build

My build should be complete in a couple of months and Im trying to become more familiar with the tuning aspect of this. Im pretty well versed in most other automotive areas just trying to learn the tuning now instead of trying to cram at last minute when the time comes.

2001 Tahoe 5.3l into 94 s10 with ported heads and Comp 265hr cam 4l60e trans. What are the basic steps and procedures and any other significant items to watch out for getting this application running and tuned. So far all I know about is having to turn off the VATS. Will there be a map or table that I can download specifically for this cam? Am I going to have to manually set each sensor input that talks to the PCM? Transmission changes? Thanks!

Start by reading all relevant Gen III engine and transmission tuning threads on this Forum (if you are purchasing HPT) - there will be hundreds of them. Start a collection of the information that you will need to assist with your particular conversion, and / or to increase your current level of tuning knowledge.

No one is going to hold your hand, or walk you through the basics - start reading, then take the tuning one step at a time, keeping a journal of changes - so that you can track what worked, and revert back when something does not work out the way you had intended.

We were all new to this once - the learning curve is steep - but the best approach is to read, read, read, then go slowly and methodically. Post questions when you get stuck, or cannot figure something out - after having at least tried on your own.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks! Can you comment on my question about downloading tuning tables or programs for my specific application, or am I going to have to do it all from scratch? Thanks for holding my hand...its the little things that count Shrek..lol

If you started self-educating by reading applicable Forum posts - you would be able to answer that question for yourself.

You will need a WBO (wide band oxygen sensor), and will have to modify the existing VE and MAF tables in your PCM to be in line with the new airflow / volumetric efficiency of your modified engine. Proper injector data is critical. If you are using the stock injectors that match the values in the PCM calibration - no worries. If you are using other injectors - you will need to source / confirm their data.