Thread: AFM cam movement tuning

Tuner in Training

AFM cam movement tuning

It took me a long time to get my AFM cam finally timed properly for the High and low tables. Now its a matter of timing the AFM high and low tbales, but thats not my question...

How do i tune the Cam angles in Airflow - variable cams windows.

I got the phazer spacer that limits the cam movement to about 20*.

I have a cam with 226/236 116 LSA and only .500 lift off the cam, i changed the rockers to 1.85 so i get close to .550 lift at the valves.

I have no torque from idle till about 2000rpm and its annoying when i try and tow. CompCams claims i could get 75 hp with this cam over stock on a 6.2Ltr. I have a 6.0Ltr with Ported LS3 heads and ported Intake manifold with a 90mm Ported TB going out of a 1 7/8 headers into a stock Denali catback.

I heard stories of advancing the cam could give me more torque, but i am new to this and just now started to get the tahoe to run properly...

Later i may add a Maggie and a torque converter but thats still up in the air...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I did some searching and found this info, Will check my PTV clearance at various timing and then tinker with my timings to see if it helps me

* By advancing camshaft timing, an improvement in low end torque can be achieved.
    * By retarding camshaft timing slightly, an improvement in high end power can be achieved.
    * By retarding camshaft timing significantly, an improvement in light load fuel economy can be achieved.

There are 5 cavities divided by vanes within the CMP actuator.

* When oil is directed to the advance cavities (1), the camshaft timing is advanced.
    * When oil is directed to the retard cavities (2), the camshaft timing is retarded.
    * When oil is directed to both cavities, the camshaft is held stationary.

Senior Tuner
    you better make sure the cam core is the one that you need for your phaser. if not you're 13 degree's retarded. hence the lack of low end.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    So far i have up to 4 on the graphs and i have to say i am accelerating quicker now...

I am still trying to understand my starting point which should start to open my car up. At WOT i had 6-8, I want to make sure i can advance the cam without having the piston touch the valves

Senior Tuner
    full advance is zero in the tables. the work inverse of what you see. the max it will ever pull is 8.5 degree's. again, you need to check and see which cam core number you have and which phaser part number you have to make sure they are correctly matched.

Tuner in Training
    I have the proper core for my car, its just the phazer i am not aware of. I had this engine built for me and shipped out. There might be a possibility that it is the correct phazer for my car or not. But i know i have the right core and phazer limiter. The pre 2010 cams are 156-xxx with a smaller limiter than the 2010+. I have 189-xxx

Could i have a situation where the pistons touch the valves? Or will the phazer limiter spacer stop that from happening?

Also what are the starting points for each phazer in HPtuner??

Senior Tuner
    156 and 189 numbers vary greatly engine to engine actually. there have been numerous reports of mixed numbers depending on the vehicle and difference in cam cores and actuator part numbers. you claimed to have lost your low end torque. this indicates to me the shop that built it put the wrong cam core in there.

instead of trying to argue the fact, double check before you spend a crap load of time in the cam tables only to find out there is a mechanical issue.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, i researched my phaser pn and i know i have a hybrid phaser from 52 retard to 16 advance with limiter fir 20 degrees of change i also have a 189 for i installed it personally, its cca's stage 3 vvt cam for my model of truck.

I have a question though, when i advanced the vvt on hp it advanced the intake cam to the same numbers not retarded them. (researched it, and found my answer mentioned below)
    Last edited by naf; 05-14-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Tuner in Training
    Ok, i understand the theory behind the numbers, the higher the number the more retard from MAX advance we are getting. Thus in my situation if i have +7 then its 16-7=9 degrees of advance.

Now i have a small problem, i slowly increased the tables till i maxed out at 7 from the cam readout.

I have to fine my smaller limiter if i want to take advantage of my cam, I feel i am not making decent bottom end torque for i am too far advanced on my phaser.

Senior Tuner
    189 cam needs a 189 phaser.

the max it will retard is 8.5 degree's, indicated in the data log. regardless of what number you put in there, this is the max it will do.

read up a bit
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...s-limiter.html

Tuner in Training
    Not very happy, i have a kid on the way and this is starting to bother me. Ever since i max out the retard the truck just started to feel better.

I will look for a shop here to dial in the cam, i think i may have the wrong cam timing thus my initial problem with no bottom end torque.

Tuner in Training
    Research for the next guy...

If you have a pre 2009 Actuator/phaser you need cam 156, if you have a post 2009 phaser you need 189 cam from compcams....

If you use the 156 on a post 2009 phaser you will have 13 degrees of retard. I asked CCA what is the outcome if you use a 189 cam on a pre 2009 phaser...I would say 13 degrees advance, and if that is true and i see my cam is also 13 degrees advanced then i found my problem. Also the limiter dictates the advancement you will get, the Pre 2009 gives you 8.5 degrees of retard while the post 2009 gives you 7.5 degrees of retard. That explains my max retard issue...

Senior Tuner
    see, tried to explain it to ya, or get the numbers out of ya to help solve this issue.

i almost went through this same thing with my 6.2 truck
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...m-swap-504902/