Thread: 2.4/2.3 tuning

Tuner in Training

2.4/2.3 tuning

I started a thread concerning my motor build. I now have a question and request.

I need a tune. I live in Kenosha, WI. 53142. After calling many shops I am coming up with no professionals willing to do my tune. Does anyone in the area have any suggestions on a shop? I would also like to ask if any members might be willing to take a shot at it? Short of buying and learning to tune myself I am running out of ideas. I have a strong build but my car is hardly more than a 3700 pound paper weight until it's tuned.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will check back later when I get home from work.

Thanks
    Craig

I am going to guess your a lsj but not 100% sure. You might look on the cobaltss.net forum and see if there is a tuner in your area or you can buy the software and have it tuned over the net.

He is a Quad motor.

I would recommend reaching out to Brian aka Speedracer from the org.

Tuner in Training
    It is a 2.4 twin cam bottom with an HO quad head and cam.

Thanks for the suggestion, trying to work out a time with speedracer but gonna install a wideband first.

Any thoughts on "innovative LM-2" wideband and software?

Quote Originally Posted by 2kse View Post
    It is a 2.4 twin cam bottom with an HO quad head and cam.

Thanks for the suggestion, trying to work out a time with speedracer but gonna install a wideband first.

Any thoughts on "innovative LM-2" wideband and software?
    I like innovative products. I would go with a LC-1, or MTX.

Tuner in Training
    The LM-2 is the MTX system, it's the 1 channel version. Thanks for the input. Gonna spend 300 plus so want to make sure it will do the job.

This is wha I'm talking about when I say mtx http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

This is a LM-2, completely different
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

Mtx can be had for $200, sometimes less.

Tuner in Training
    What year is your car?

You will need the GM supercharger reflash to tune boost. It changes you pcm from alpha-n to speed density. So you can tune for boost.

There are two flashes available. One for the automatic and one for the 5 speed. Get that flash and go from there.

More info on your car please.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    This is wha I'm talking about when I say mtx http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

This is a LM-2, completely different
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

Mtx can be had for $200, sometimes less.
    I read about their widebands, you are correct and thanks for the input.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojbody View Post
    What year is your car?

You will need the GM supercharger reflash to tune boost. It changes you pcm from alpha-n to speed density. So you can tune for boost.

There are two flashes available. One for the automatic and one for the 5 speed. Get that flash and go from there.

More info on your car please.
    2000 Grand Am. I used to run my original 2.4 twin cam with M45 sc (gm supercharger kit) so already 5 speed flashed.

new motor:

Bottom end, eagle rods, wiesco pistons .020 over.
    GM 95 HO head and cams.
    M62 supercharger, air to air intercooler. LS-1 TB.

other stuff:

Pacesetter header, 2 1/4 inch exhaust, GTO muffler., Vulcan intake manifold.
    Been upgrading brakes and suspension so it handles fairly well.
    5 speed with Team Green LSD insert. KY stage 3 clutch.
    Last edited by 2kse; 05-19-2013 at 08:33 AM.

hey man, you on GAOC? i'd love to see more of this set up. i'm litdevil316 on there
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)

Tuner in Training
    Yah I'm on GAOC. Same username. I haven't posted stats or pics yet. Wanted to get it up and running before I posted. BTW, always thought your set up was well put together.
    I have been over here, jbody.org, and quad4forum since there are more custom set ups and I still need help to get things finished. I'm gonna break it in slowly before getting to the track. Will have more info then.

Tuner in Training
    Finally got the wideband and HPT hooked up yesterday. Readings were lean under all conditions. Moved the fueling table up. It will now idle smoothly at 1000 rpm setting. At idle and under low load conditions it will throw a p0300. We monitored each cylinder and none were reporting any misfire. So I may have one of those "ghost" misfires that seem to pop up with more aggressive cams. Hoping not though. Gonna do more searching to see if timing may need some work. I will ask spdracer to send me or post my before and after files. Maybe someone will see something being missed.

The car runs well with RPM's above 2000 under laod. I did do a 3rd gear pull while recording and motor pulls strong and does not misfire. She really breaths well at 4500 to 6500. I have not raised the limiter yet, not gonna push it for a few more miles. I guess I may have to learn how to drive this new set up as the LD9 has reasonable torque whereas the HO had more top end.

I have to fix a PS leak. AC is out too. Dam, more money going into he pit. I am going to start driving it daily so I will have a better feel of what is normal or not. Thanks for all the help so far and I am sure I will be back looking for more answers.

People keep asking me "why the SEG", they just don't understand.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kse View Post
    2000 Grand Am. I used to run my original 2.4 twin cam with M45 sc (gm supercharger kit) so already 5 speed flashed.

new motor:

Bottom end:
    LD9 block, Eagle rods, Wiesco pistons .020 over, Quad4 Oil Pump
    Top end:
    GM '086 head and HO cams, Cometic head gasket
    M62 supercharger, air to air intercooler. LS1 TB.

other stuff:

Pacesetter header, 2 1/4 inch exhaust, GTO muffler., Vulcan intake manifold.
    Been upgrading brakes and suspension so it handles fairly well.
    F23 5 speed with Team Green LSD insert. KY stage 3 clutch.
    Fixed it for you

I can post a before log, for some reason the after log didnt save.

As far as changes, to get it to idle more stable I bumped the Command Idle up to 1050. With the HO cams and drag of the S/C the 850ish was to low. It would stumble and eventually die. Idles with a nice burble to the exhaust now at right about 1k. Fuel wise I started by adding .2 to the injector multiplier for anything positive PSI. It brought the AF from 13.5-14 under load down to 12.5-13. Watching for knock, I got no hits, so left it for the time being. Once the motor has had a good break in, oil changed, maybe add a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge, we can start tuning it to get more out of the setup.

Since the latest reflash, it started having a weird off throttle issue. If your between 1-30mph, it will rev to 1800-2000 rpm. Once you're above 30mph it goes away, or once you come to a complete stop it drops back down to the command. Only started once I flashed it with the new tune, and only change was those to things mentioned above.
    Last edited by SpdRcrZ; 05-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Brian
    SpdRcrZ
    SloGoat
    '02 Turbo LD9 Z24 [email protected] 420whp@15psi
    '96 Turbo W41 Z24 13.22 @ 108.94 11psi
    '04 LS1 GTO 13.7

Good job Speed!

I will say I find it hard to believe no misfire's are showing if your getting a code.

I have had a ghost misfire but it showed it, even when the car ran perfect.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Brian, you explain much better than I could. I definitely feel better driving it since I was worried about the misfire.

BTW, I need to thank you a for a rock solid build. I wanted a strong, high rev motor and so far I am very happy with what you have done.

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, 2kse, I'd like to see this car! Im 53143 Right by Snap-on!

I got alittle project I could use some HPTuners help on! Heres a video of where Im at, Brian if your local and HPT knowledgable I could really use your help!

Heres a teaser vid, i just got it fired saturday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP5ebreDCFw

***Sorry to screw up your thread, wouldn't mind meeting up with some other local tuners as well.
    Tony B
    02 TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2/4l60e
    01 2500 suburban 6.0/4l80e
    01 2500 suburban 8.1/4l80e

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Twin SNAILS!
    had to be said...
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Ur soo cool thanks !!

Potential Tuner
    So I had this car by me over this last weekend and we made some changes to make things a bit smoother.. But first a little info

Since the first time I saw the car it was always one thing or another but 2kse had been trusting enough to know that I knew better than he when it came to diagnostics and thankfully each time he would find and fix another "issue". The last time I saw the car before this last weekend I was pretty much dead set that either the o2 was not operating properly and/or the injectors were not operating properly.

O2 sensor was changed to a new Denso rather than send out the injectors for cleaning/testing as the sensor was easier and cheaper to change out. Once done 2kse called me to let me know this seemed to help. This was done since the last pcm changes made by SpdRcrZ due to my continuing thought that something was mechanically wrong and would need to be fixed before any "tuning" could really be done.

I changed Commanded Idle from 1050 to 1000

We went for a drive and I was able to witness the engine go to 2500-3000rpm when coming to a stop. It did this to a much lesser extent with the original GM Reflash and ld9/m45/5speed combo. 2kse said that it became much worse once the new engine/sc were installed.

On a hunch we did a CASE Learn and went for another trip around the block and this seems to have cleared up the high rev when coming to a stop.

We did a CASE Learn once before a while back but for whatever reason it apparently did not take at that time but did this time so... woohoo.

The car pulls very nicely and considering the BS its given the owner since original install we were both happy to see and hear the difference. I will admit that there is likely plenty of dial-in tuning in our future but a few things still need to happen for that to take place.. ie clean/tested injectors, gauges installed, etc...