Thread: idea to run 16 injectors

idea to run 16 injectors

ok i have a mad scientist idea which i have tried on megasquirt but was wondering if anyone saw a problem doing it on a e38. i wanna run stock injectors and a set of 80s. the stock injectors would run the engine anytime not on boost and the 80s would flow at anything above 2 psi. the 80 would have a switch wired inline with the power side. the switch would turn on the 80s at 1psi of boost giving me the size injector flow i need for my boost level. would the injector driver in the ecm handle running 16 injectors and does anyone see any problems with this set up.

The drivers in the PCM would probably fire two sets of high impedance injectors. I admire anybody that thinks outside the box so to speak. So what do you hope to gain by doing this? Also, I'm wondering how you are going to mount 16 injectors?

Tuner
    I think
    1999 Silverado, 383ci iron block forged stroker, 76mm turbo, 4l80e, A1000 etc
    737rwhp @16psi 926rwhp @25 psi
    Sold 2007 TBSS 408ci forged stroker, 76mm turbo, etc
    626rwhp @13psi
    Sold 1999 WS6 Trans Am 346ci, Procharger, Mahle pistons & rods, stage 5 RPM T56, Moser 12 bolt, Walbro, etc
    615rwhp @ 14psi

Tuner
    Oops, I think its a great idea! I have been wanting to do this, but it would require installing a whole seperate fuel system and would be a nightmare to get the tuning to make a smooth transition.
    NRE (Nelson Racing Engines) has done this successfully, maybe they would provide you with some info and tips.
    1999 Silverado, 383ci iron block forged stroker, 76mm turbo, 4l80e, A1000 etc
    737rwhp @16psi 926rwhp @25 psi
    Sold 2007 TBSS 408ci forged stroker, 76mm turbo, etc
    626rwhp @13psi
    Sold 1999 WS6 Trans Am 346ci, Procharger, Mahle pistons & rods, stage 5 RPM T56, Moser 12 bolt, Walbro, etc
    615rwhp @ 14psi

OK so here goes answer.
    1. What do I hope to achieve.
    Better idle with stock injectors and then when the secondary injectors come in it will handle the 20 psi of boost I'm planing.
    2. How do I plan to run the secondary injectors
    J have a volley high ram so I plan to weld on new bungs and fuel rails on between the runners.
    3. Needing a separate fuel system.
    I already have dual pumps which should feed all of the fuel j need for all those injectors. So I future I'll just run jumpers between the existing fuel rails and the new ones. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sorry droid spelling for me again
    Holley high ram

Why wouldn't you just buy ID1000s or ID2000s and be done?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Why wouldn't you just buy ID1000s or ID2000s and be done?
    That was my thought when I saw this thread, be a heck of a lot easier to tune and get tuned correctly. I dont know many vehicles that require more than 2225 cc/min (3Bar) injectors, at least in the V8 world. That's a LOT of fuel flow.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

ID1000s have just as much flow as this proposed 16 injector idea. Lol.

Well I was trying to use what I have on hand. I already own the stock injectors and the 80s. I run the 80s now but my idle is a little erratic and the mileage is less then desirable off boost even after months of tuning. Plus I was gonna move up in boost soon and just thought run staged injectors like that would work better then one large injector due to my past experiences but I've never used I'd injectors so maybe I'm wrong.
    Plus after an earlier comment about nelson racing and looking into there stuff I like the idea of 91 pump on the idle and cruise injectors and 108 on the boost injectors. Would require a second fuel cell pump and lines but damn if that don't sound like the best of both worlds to me.

The factory PCM will not do what you want.

Any clarification on that I'm not sure what you mean. Is the injector driver circuit to weak to drive 16 injectors. Or is it something else. I figuredif the iinjector driver could handle it I would adjust the injector flow to match the double injector fph at the switch point thus indicating to the ecm the extra flow. It almost seems to me that all the ins and outs are already there if I just use a switch to turn the power to the boost injectors on and off. Depending on the manifold pressure. Am I way off base.

im not saying your wrong id just like to know what my stumbling block is.

Senior Tuner
    jump on ls1 tech and search for maxxmitchell
    he is running 16 injectors on factory computers. {notice the s at the end of that}
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Use 2 pcm's and splice the needed data for the 2nd PCM to run the 80's. I believe you will need an extra ECT, IAT sensor as they can not splice as needed. Something about voltage division, idk.

Anyways, draw the MAF curve to pulse 0 until you reach boost then draw the curve as needed in the 2nd pcm. Don't need ALL the wires to the 2nd pcm, just enough to keep it happy and pulse the 80 injectors. Simple stuff like grounds, power feeds, crank/cam sensor, ect, tach, etc.

Good luck.

Senior Tuner
    By the time you do all that, and have a wiring NIGHTMARE, and a sensor signal nightmare...you'd wish you'd just bought ID1000's or ID2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGP33 View Post
    Use 2 pcm's and splice the needed data for the 2nd PCM to run the 80's. I believe you will need an extra ECT, IAT sensor as they can not splice as needed. Something about voltage division, idk.

Anyways, draw the MAF curve to pulse 0 until you reach boost then draw the curve as needed in the 2nd pcm. Don't need ALL the wires to the 2nd pcm, just enough to keep it happy and pulse the 80 injectors. Simple stuff like grounds, power feeds, crank/cam sensor, ect, tach, etc.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by jordoza View Post
    Any clarification on that I'm not sure what you mean. Is the injector driver circuit to weak to drive 16 injectors. Or is it something else. I figuredif the iinjector driver could handle it I would adjust the injector flow to match the double injector fph at the switch point thus indicating to the ecm the extra flow. It almost seems to me that all the ins and outs are already there if I just use a switch to turn the power to the boost injectors on and off. Depending on the manifold pressure. Am I way off base.
    Use an extended fuel controller(XFC) with stock PCM and either a BAP and aftermarket pump or dual pumps. Been running a 16 injector sheetmetal with this setup since 2007. Only issue I have had is heat soak in the sheetmetal intake causing transient fuel problems(off idle hesitation). Took a while to fix but running great now.

Thanks for the reply ttz06vette. I will look into the xfc controller. Glad to know it can be done from someone with experience.