Thread: 8.1 spark and fuel tables

Potential Tuner

8.1 spark and fuel tables

Going to start tuning my 2005 8.1 with Allison and was looking for modified max torque sparks tables and main spark tables for comparison. Also, I was looking for MAF calibration tables and primary VE vs RPM vs Map. I am trying to get an idea on what may get me the best towing and MPG. I am running a 35" tire and true dual exhaust. I am getting 9mpg with those things and a 6" lift on my crew cab long bed. I would just like to compare what you all you have vs my tune and see where I can improve. Thanks..
    Last edited by sparks454; 03-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    This is a good spark table and Max Torque Spark, you will need to log the KR though. Where ever there is knock, just remove it 1:1 ratio out of the main spark table.

As for the MAF and VE tables, those differ on each truck. You will need to log and adjust those values on your own. I have enclosed 2 documents that I have found to calibrate the MAF and VE tables.

I have way to correct the speedo if you need that.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome!! thanks for all the info. I use TunerProRT on my OBD1 T/A to log data on that and there are many similarities between tuning tables. I was going to order the HPTuner software my Sierra in the next few weeks and start logging and tuning. My only goals are to gain a few MPG's and adjust my speedo since I'm running the 35" tires...Please send the speedo calibration guide if possible. I just really want to get a jump on learning this new software and the tables that make the biggest differences. I also want to take out maybe 50% of the torque management and increase the throttle response. I also have the demo software loaded so anyone can send along their hpt files and I can plug them in. Thanks,Chris
    Last edited by sparks454; 03-18-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Once you purchase HPTuners, I can help you tune it to my best ability.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the offer! Those are my big 5 things to correct in this order: Throttle response, speedo correction, torque management, spark and MAF to help with the MPG. I have a couple tables already from another site for comparison between his stock cal and one for torque management correction. I don't want to ruin the Ally, but I do want a little more grunt to get my 8k pounds of boat moving that I tow...
    Last edited by sparks454; 03-19-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Tuner in Training
    The Allison is a beast!! Unless you're doing tractor pulling or trying to push 600 # though them, they stand up pretty good. I wouldn’t recommend messing with the oncomming and offcomming presets to much, those are the delicate dance of engaging the clutch drums between shifts. I have removed 90% of my TM and have not had any side effects. The timing you will have to play with. The big block LS engines do love low timing numbers, but I am still tinkering with that. Changing the Stoich to 14.4, if you are running 10% ethanol fuel. That will correct the AFR to the fuel. That has been the biggest improvement yet. As for better MPG, I will have to get back to you on that. I am still working the kinks out of getting the MAF and VE just right, so there is a lot on in throttle time.
    I am happy with the results. I have turned a powerful truck into a 20MPH, drop the hammer and break the tires loose truck. I do run two different tunes, one for dry weather and one for winter, it is a bitch trying to drive a high torque truck with great throttle response through wet, slick roads. I have spent too much time sideways to not turn it down.

Potential Tuner
    I figured I'd pop and and say hi. I'm also in the process of tuning an 8.1. Only difference is I have 06 with the 6 speed so no transmission tuning for me.

Tuner in Training
    The Allison 5 speeds and 6 speeds tune the same. I monkied with the TCC lock up so I coud get the TCC to lock up while at lower 25 and 35 mph. I have found it to be alomost 2mpg gain in that range. I also dropped the RPM limit to 4500 since thr 496 really doesnt make any power up there. I brought my full throttle shifts to 4200. I have to admit, that change alone has greatly improved the 0-60 times. I would also not recommend maxing the ETC TPS Max table out. Leave the lines 0 to 30% as stock. Maxing out those lines tends to make the throttle burp sometimes, in turn makes the truck lurch on decel.

Potential Tuner
    All good stuff. Went to Summit and bought my Hp Tuner kit and played with it all day today. Recal'd the speedo for my larger tires and made some minor changes to the spark table and also took out some of the spark retard vs. torque reduction. Anyone mess around with the TIP in Torque table? I have seen that some max that out at 640...

Mike..what table did you make the TCC changes to in order to get it locked up earlier? Thanks..
    Last edited by sparks454; 04-21-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I have attached my tune i run on my 8.1 with allison. Do a compare and it will show the differances between the stock and mine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Mike. I saved the file and will compare. I have been bumping up the spark tables a good bit over the last weeks. Once knock detected, back down a little bit. She runs great, but the ETC TPS max table is hanging me up. Once I move up those values about 20-30%, the throttle hangs for a second before dropping back down. Only happens when you are accelerating at 40% or higher TPS...Guess that will take some time to iron out, but I went back to a 5% increase for the whole table except for the first line. It got progressively worse as I increased the values. Did not try 100 exclusively in all those cells though.

It looks like you have the PE tables active. Did you enable that and if so did you see a big difference after?

For the speedo fix, I had to drop my VSS pulses to 103000..Right in line with GPS now. Thanks. Chris.
    Last edited by sparks454; 05-13-2013 at 02:04 PM.