Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Tuning the 1.4t Cruze - A Mildly Scientific Approach

Advanced Tuner
    Way too cold here to be doing any work. Once spring rolls around I may start to work on the car again. The whole phantom knock thing really turned me off from bothering with this car.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    purchase knock listening device and turn of kr 8)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    Yeah. There has to be a reason GM so much changed how the cams work for the 2013+ model year...I want to fully understand.
    I'm starting to wonder if they changed the cam, or the setting point of the cam. Ie., the zero point on one may correlate to 10 or something on the other.

I've had very little success adjusting the settings for the cam angles, but I believe that it may go better now that I have fine tuned the VVE parameters a bit. The extremely small changes that I have made so far have seemed to go well with my new VVE parameters.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmn0022 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if they changed the cam, or the setting point of the cam. Ie., the zero point on one may correlate to 10 or something on the other.

I've had very little success adjusting the settings for the cam angles, but I believe that it may go better now that I have fine tuned the VVE parameters a bit. The extremely small changes that I have made so far have seemed to go well with my new VVE parameters.
    Someone, I believe in this thread, commented that the issue is indeed the cam is installed differently in the 2013+ and hence the change.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    Still having issues with timing from 1400-2200rpm from .32 to .60 g/cyl giving me knock when accelerating slowly from a cruising position. It's almost as if the DFCO is being way too aggressive and then when I start to accelerate the fueling is just not there.

has anyone checked lean cruise parameters for fuel trims while cruising and knock?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycar2001 View Post
    has anyone checked lean cruise parameters for fuel trims while cruising and knock?
    I didn't see anything. I tried adjusting the narrowband voltage swings to stay near 450mv but no luck.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2014 ltz i will try to post a file from, if you guys are interested...

so who is tuning the k04+ 1.4T Sonic floating around reno? that thing is wicked fast for what it is..props to whoever is putting in the time on that.
    oh its a sparkly grey rs

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmm...any else's A6 have CFCO enabled? Thought that was a manual only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    so who is tuning the k04+ 1.4T Sonic floating around reno? that thing is wicked fast for what it is..props to whoever is putting in the time on that.
    oh its a sparkly grey rs
    A 1.4t spools a K04+? Interesting.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

it comes late like a gt30 on a 2.0 but but the k04+ peak efficiency is like 15 psi and that's where his is set at the moment. something about injectors are really small from the factory. the plus side to the k04+ is the twin scroll housing which does most the spool work.
    i haven't tuned one yet so i don't know much other than standard maintenance.

Oh nice. Somehow, I am finding that my little stock K04 is going against the rules. I am not sure how long it will last but the car is much happier at DOUBLE peak efficiency. Yes I have been told that it will blow sky high for the last 15k miles - but the only victim so far is the stock pre-cat. (and tires, and lots of import cars lol)
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Tuner in Training
    I have been reading through all of these 1.4T tuning threads to get a grasp on tuning my ATS. One thing that I didn't see pointed out is that if you raise the Turbo Overspeed limit Min = 2.00 you have to also raise the Turbo Failure Airmass to 2.10. This is located in the Engine>Torque Management>Turbocharger. The stock setting for these on the ATS is Overspeed=.5 and Failure=.6 Before increasing the Turbo Failure Airmass I would get a horrible rattle from the turbo which I assume is the wastegate and or BOV. BTW I set my Turbo Overspeed Limit Min to 1.5 g/cyl and the Failure Airmass to 1.6 g/cyl.

Keep up the good work

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    it comes late like a gt30 on a 2.0 but but the k04+ peak efficiency is like 15 psi and that's where his is set at the moment. something about injectors are really small from the factory. the plus side to the k04+ is the twin scroll housing which does most the spool work.
    i haven't tuned one yet so i don't know much other than standard maintenance.
    Is this an LNF take off system, or a European bolt on with integrated turbine housing like stock? I've contacted like three companies to see if the opel/vauxhaul 1.6/2.0t turbos (some are stock K04) would fit the Cruze, but no one replies lol.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TRS-FABRICATION View Post
    I have noticed same knock issue on my ATS, cruise speed and tip into throttle and would get knock, adjusted exhaust cam and went away, was actually able to add timing to HO map after that!
    It also seems ATS falls out of power after 5600 rpm, boost would drop to 15-17psi, also adjusted intake and exhaust cams for that issue and now pulls 20-21 psi all the way to 7000! I believe there is too much overlap in cam adjustment from factory. I'm still working on tune and hope to learn more!
    Great thread by the way!
    Any chance we can get some more specifics? I'd imagine you would advance the exhaust cam and retard the intake cam to limit overlap. Can you post up a tune?

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Is this an LNF take off system, or a European bolt on with integrated turbine housing like stock? I've contacted like three companies to see if the opel/vauxhaul 1.6/2.0t turbos (some are stock K04) would fit the Cruze, but no one replies lol.
    1.6 turbo + K04 - for this is the only high-quality solution (verified) http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...LES::1794.html
    or http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...3561_5513.html

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    1.6 turbo + K04 - for this is the only high-quality solution (verified) http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...LES::1794.html
    or http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...3561_5513.html
    What about this one? http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/engi...69.html#Z16LEH. It looks like a complete bolt on set up, but IDK if the bolt pattern and turbine outlet are the same. I'm highly interested!!!
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Tuner in Training
    From looking at the stock manifold compared to the Courtenay sport product, they don't look like they would fit. The bolts don't look to be in the proper location.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    What about this one? http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/engi...69.html#Z16LEH. It looks like a complete bolt on set up, but IDK if the bolt pattern and turbine outlet are the same. I'm highly interested!!!
    This is also not a bad option. I had booked in Courtenay intake manifolds on Z20LEH opel astra-h-opc and workmanship was very poor. I did not like - the mating surface of the collector was curve locations for the fuel injectors of different diameters. And so on several intake manifold ( this decided not to risk it. With kits for which I sent a link is no problem. All well suited!

Tuner in Training
    Bump for back on topic...

Ghost:
    Have you tried adjusting your fueling to 14.4 from 14.7 for E10? It seems to have fixed my random bump of 1.9 Kr when cruising on the highway.

Thank you for sharing...
    To keep the learning process going I am attaching my current tune. 2012 Cruze 1.4L M6

Obvious disclaimer-not my fault if you change your settings to mine and damage your car.
    Attached Files Attached Files