Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Tuning the 1.4t Cruze - A Mildly Scientific Approach

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I always set my tunes up for the fuel I'm using. I no longer tune the Cruze as I saw it as an extremely weak platform and picked up a Focus ST instead. I still have the Cruze though. The Focus is running E30 and is a breeze to tune with the built-in wideband.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    I think I have found the key to closing throttle and KR at WOT. Its all about reducing the turbo duty cycle so that the actual boost doesn't exceed the target boost. Data log the following info: Throttle Position, Requested Boost, Actual Boost, RPM, and Barometric Pressure. When you see the throttle cut @ WOT move the cursor just before the cut and you will see that the actual boost pressure is higher than the requested boost pressure. Now take the requested boost pressure and divide it by Baro pressure. That is the pressure ratio. Take a look at the RPM and use that along with the pressure ratio to find the box in the Duty Cycle map and reduce the number there. Keep doing this until there is no more throttle cut. When all is well you will see that the throttle cut and KR are all reduced or gone.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Twincharged View Post
    I think I have found the key to closing throttle and KR at WOT. Its all about reducing the turbo duty cycle so that the actual boost doesn't exceed the target boost. Data log the following info: Throttle Position, Requested Boost, Actual Boost, RPM, and Barometric Pressure. When you see the throttle cut @ WOT move the cursor just before the cut and you will see that the actual boost pressure is higher than the requested boost pressure. Now take the requested boost pressure and divide it by Baro pressure. That is the pressure ratio. Take a look at the RPM and use that along with the pressure ratio to find the box in the Duty Cycle map and reduce the number there. Keep doing this until there is no more throttle cut. When all is well you will see that the throttle cut and KR are all reduced or gone.
    That sounds about right for preventing the throttle closing. My biggest issue was always not enough boost so I had to manually manipulate the WGDC base table and that seemed to do the trick. I don't have HPtuners any more so I can't look at my tune, but I wonder if there is a WGDC adder table that we can modify instead.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

allright i have a question for one of you. im tuning a friends sonic and i have noticed that when the car is cruising in a little boost maybe 8psi and below and i let go of the throttle it jumps timing way up and the car surges for a sec and then it returns to normal? any ideas
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Potential Tuner
    I'm having trouble getting PE to come on when I want. It seems that no matter what I do, it's delayed until 4,000 rpm. I can't find what is causing the delay. I've disabled PE delay and set PE to ramp in as quickly as possible and that had no effect.

pe wtf.hpl
    increased driver demand 20 pct.hpt
    Cruze.cfg

Tuner in Training
    Check you Power Enrich EQ Ratio VS RPM Its stock below 4000

Potential Tuner
    I completely missed that the Power Enrich EQ table references off of Charge Air Temp and not Engine Coolant Temp (like I was assuming). *facepalm*

Problem solved.
    Last edited by C5Shark; 06-16-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    i had a good tune but made changes and forgot to change the name when i saved it and lost it all. now i have a problem when i go wot it misses like crazy and jumps around. i have attached my scan and config. just go to the very end for the best and last wot run. any help will be nice.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 GTP. 3.4", 3" ext no cat, no res. 12" brakes. 3.29 gears. and a lead foot, all make for a fun ride.

2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo 6A. just trying to make more power. no other mods

ASE, automotive parts technician.

Nitrous is like a hot blonde with a STD. You wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences.

Tuner in Training
    Change your knock sensor settings back to stock.
    Change your misfire settings under engine diagnostics back to stock

Those should help your issue.

Also consider:
    Cat overtemp and turbo overtemp max enrichment to something reasonable. Mine is 1.25 (warning may cause
    Try just adding 100 to the max torque, peak torque and overboost tables rather than setting them really high
    Try zeroing your spark correction: Afr correction table its adding timing when the cat overtemp enables

Are you running premium fuel? Consider running it to get rid of some knock.

Tuner in Training
    thank you i will try that. i never changed the misfire settings in engine diagnostics and comparing to my stock file nothing is different.
    2000 GTP. 3.4", 3" ext no cat, no res. 12" brakes. 3.29 gears. and a lead foot, all make for a fun ride.

2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo 6A. just trying to make more power. no other mods

ASE, automotive parts technician.

Nitrous is like a hot blonde with a STD. You wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences.

Tuner in Training
    Hmm. Just downloaded the stock file from the repository... your correct on the diagnostics, my mistake.

Does anyone know why it would be different from a manual to automatic Cruze?

To phrase the question: Why, in the misfire diagnostic section under the table Misfire Revolution Mode Event Time- Normal, have different values when comparing an automatic to a manual for a car of the same year (2012 Cruze)?

The manual Cruze has the values 5000 rpm and up maxed out at 32,xxx.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys,

Take a look at the stock tune for my '14 Eco... Specifically Stoich AFR, notice the values for 0% and 6.25% alcohol... Compared to a '12 those two cells are about 10% rich ('13 seems to have the same afr table as my '14).

I've leaned them out (and adjusted the other fuel tables that reference this accordingly). I've been using 93 octane since the car was new, it seems as if the result is about a 5-8% increase in fuel economy, but I need to run a few more thanks through it before I make that claim with any certainty.

I'm not sure why they would do this. Were there any major internal engine changes from '12 to '13? I didn't think there were. Even if you assume there is no fuel alcohol content compensation taking place (it is disabled) and this was done as a blanket catch all, those two cells are still rich for "up to" e10.
    Slightly lower NOx emissions at the expense of fuel economy? Sabotage to artificially inflate the value of the Volt and Diesel Cruze? Cat temps were too high at stoich?

I've also noticed that the spark advance and camshaft phaser tables are greatly different compared to a '12. '13 to '14 seems to be very similar with some minor changes, I'd like to think (or hope) they're in the interest of further cal refinement...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by C5Shark; 09-11-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Shark View Post
    Hey guys,

Take a look at the stock tune for my '14 Eco... Specifically Stoich AFR, notice the values for 0% and 6.25% alcohol... Compared to a '12 those two cells are about 10% rich ('13 seems to have the same afr table as my '14).

I've leaned them out (and adjusted the other fuel tables that reference this accordingly). I've been using 93 octane since the car was new, it seems as if the result is about a 5-8% increase in fuel economy, but I need to run a few more thanks through it before I make that claim with any certainty.

I'm not sure why they would do this. Were there any major internal engine changes from '12 to '13? I didn't think there were. Even if you assume there is no fuel alcohol content compensation taking place (it is disabled) and this was done as a blanket catch all, those two cells are still rich for "up to" e10.
    Slightly lower NOx emissions at the expense of fuel economy? Sabotage to artificially inflate the value of the Volt and Diesel Cruze? Cat temps were too high at stoich?

I've also noticed that the spark advance and camshaft phaser tables are greatly different compared to a '12. '13 to '14 seems to be very similar with some minor changes, I'd like to think (or hope) they're in the interest of further cal refinement...

GM seems to have started tuning for the fuel customers were actually using in the US. Most pump gas contains up to 10% ethanol, as a result the stoich is lower than pure gasoline. Unless you are using ethanol free gas, you just went backward with your tuning.

Actually the engines did change in the Cruze form 2012 to 2013. Engine code LUJ became code LUV. The differences are small but the LUV gets a higher reading MAP sensor and different cam phasers.

Tuner in Training
    I will say tuning these cars is a pain, granted I have little to no experience tuning GM computers yet. I was fighting an issue on the dyno where this thing would go crazy on the AFR, realized it was enabling the cat overtemp protection. That being said my car stock a 2011 Cruze made 114-117 horsepower with the stock tune. Using the tricks and upping the boost and playing with the fuel, I can't get any more power out of it. 119 is all I've gotten.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CMillet86 View Post
    I will say tuning these cars is a pain, granted I have little to no experience tuning GM computers yet. I was fighting an issue on the dyno where this thing would go crazy on the AFR, realized it was enabling the cat overtemp protection. That being said my car stock a 2011 Cruze made 114-117 horsepower with the stock tune. Using the tricks and upping the boost and playing with the fuel, I can't get any more power out of it. 119 is all I've gotten.
    What's your desired TQ table look like?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    What's your desired TQ table look like?
    +1 Post your file if you would like a second pair of eyes to look things over. Your results seem low you should be able to pick up more than 2-5 hp with a tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    +1 Post your file if you would like a second pair of eyes to look things over. Your results seem low you should be able to pick up more than 2-5 hp with a tune.
    I got fed up with it for awhile So I put the stock tune in it. I may go back and start playing with it again.

Tuner in Training
    why is the pe in these cars so lean? like most EQ ratio below 4k rpm is 1.066 am i missing a multiplier somewhere in the tune?

Potential Tuner
    Hey everyone, hope y'all are having a great day. I'm speed density tuning the VVE table on my 2013 Cruze e78 ECM and have a problem.

When I fail the MAF and set the MIL to report on 1st error, my coolant won't get any hotter than about 150?F. This happens even if I have ses checked but with no MIL option.

I have the MAF failed in the tune every way I can think of.

Any advice is appreciated.