Thread: newb with newly adopted swapped truck

Tuner in Training

newb with newly adopted swapped truck

hi all, recently aquired a 2002 scsb originally 4.3l with a lq4 swap. the seller gave little info about the truck but i could tell mechanically it was decent shape. i decided to purchase hptuners instead of dealing with shops and tuners there to learn and be ready for changes down the road with the truck.

for now its very drivable and only issues i'm having are code p0178 which i'm pretty sure needs disabled in tune and my fuel consumption is high with afr's at 11.8-12 at idle and cruise and upto 13 wot. i also get some idle hunting every once in a while coming to a stop. i have no idea of the compression or settings so i'm running 93 octain, but wouldnt mind being able to go lower for costs as i drive 100miles a day.

so far i've managed to read my vcm and spend credits to start adjusting. i was wondering if anybody could point me in right direction as far as should i first remove flex fuel dtc, or start looking at fuel trims? ect.

details i've got about my setup are
    6.0l +.020 bore (pistons??)
    cai
    1 3/4 long tubes
    true dual exhaust no cats
    317 heads (decked???)
    comp xer273-14 cam
    4l60e trans (stall???)

seller had shop dyno tune after build and install. sheet shows 362hp 344tq at wheels.

i will post my original scan to view for your guidances.
    thanks ahead.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    did i attach right files to get any help here?

Advanced Tuner
    Change your Cylinder Volume to 45.97 and set engine type to OHV 6.0L. Your spark tables are a little whacky and the high octane table matches the low octane table(not good for protecting the engine if you get bad gas).

Does the truck have the O2 sensors installed?

It's setup to run Closed Loop so the AFR's should stay around 14.7 most of the time if your O2 sensors are functioning properly. What do your fuel trims look like right now?

Tuner in Training
    I have replaced drivers side o2 when i first got truck. That cleared the code i had for it.

Are the fuel trims in that file or do i need to run a log? I bought a ngk wide band and installed it but have not figured out how to get it connected to hpt yet. I figured running logs are pointless until i have that reading there too.

I also noticed my advance jumps all over the place at idle but smooths out to 26 at my lightest throtle input.

Tuner in Training
    i ran a quick log while running for lunch and noticed my b2o2 sensor was stuck at 450 the entire time and my b1o2 moved around mostly staying in the 800-900 range. i replaced the b1o2(drivers side) right after i got the truck since i had a service light on and code for it. looks like i need to also replace that other one too.

Tuner in Training
    I finially have reading o2s, there was a signal wire swapped with rear o2 when extended. I did a quick scan just to see where I am at after that fix and removing p0178 from reporting. my ltb1 and ltb2 are going -15.6 and turning red at idle. I haven't drove truck so this is with no load. can you look and tell me if there are any serious issues here?

first scan working o2.hpl
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tashspop; 05-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Nothing alarming from that log. Your TPS is at 1%, so you might want to do a TPS relearn procedure.

It's time for you to start doing some tuning to the MAF curve and VE table...

Tuner in Training
    being that i have a ecm out of a flex fuel vehical, is it safe to change my stoich afr the same across the board like a none flex fuel vehical? i already told it to do not report DTC on my flex fuel modual.

Advanced Tuner
    yes

Tuner in Training
    so this may seem like a dumb question but where is the best place to start in my case. alot of the how to's posted say make sure other scales are in check before attempting. i don't know exactly where i stand, so i'm having a hard time knowing what my first step would be.

so far i've been adjusting my trans and i have my stoich afr set at 14.4.

Advanced Tuner
    I would do ve tuning and maf as a start.

Tuner
    Make sure your injector data is correct before tuning the VE and MAF tables. Then fine tune both tables within 3% from 0. VE will take longer but will give a quicker throttle response once matched with the tuned MAF table.

Tuner in Training
    now i got bigger problems. my tcc is not engaging and giving code p1870 on scanner. i noticed right away once on the highway going to work it never locked and trans temp was running higher than normal. by the time i got to work i was getting hard second gear shifts. i'm unsure if its mechanical although with a 100mile round trip i'm thinking my lockup in my converter is toasted. trans fluid is still red but has an odor.

Tuner in Training
    i almost have my trans issue whipped (for now??). i ended up installing a cooler because once these issues started happening my trans temps went from 200 up to 230's. with new cooler i'm down to 160's and its working better. also changed my motor force tables slightly lower, and noticed my cruise tables didn't line up well with my part throtle tables so i fixed that and removed my tcc lockup command from all gears except 4th. i think i might be looking at a worn tcc valve bore since problems get way worse as fluid temps rise.

Tuner in Training
    my injectors are delphi 25320288. not alot of info i could find on these and it conflicting. my injector flow rate vs. kpa vac is 25.2 across the table. anybody know if this setting is correct and if i should also look into other settings on my tune?

Advanced Tuner
    There's a repair valve you can buy that will fix the 1870 code...

Are they just the stock 6.0 injectors? They should work fine with the data you have. If you want to try and guess at getting it right, you can compare it with other 6.0 tunes in the repository.