Thread: Random KR Help

Random KR Help

Hey all. Not a big poster but very long time lurker.

I have a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline.

Mods:
    Gutted Cat
    3" Custom Exhaust
    MAF Relocate to cold pipe

Here is a copy of my config, current tune, and a log.

I have smoothed my timing, my cam tables. I am at about 24PSI at WOT.

I believe that I have posted all that I could think of. If I may have missed something please let me know.

So this is what is happening. I am driving and I get random KR at part throttle and at wot. It isnt terrible and most of the time it doesnt pull any timeing. That is what throws me off. I have also clocked my KR sensors the correct way per some cobalt forum threads and CBSSOB recommendations. Just wanting to get a peak at what some of you may have done to resolve this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    its quite possible you found ghost kr famous in the di fuel system ecotec line motors.

recommendation whatever rpm the kr is ghosting the most at try making the spark> retard> tip-in retard table a little more negative in that rpm to see if it helps. this helped me some when the throttle plate fluctuates a little during cruise.

other than that its a great tune, are you gonna add timing on the big end? your still at 9-12 from what i saw

i have a consistent phantom of 4* kr in cruise and it populates hard on cylinder #4. ive since removed my knock sensors and tuned timing with an external device that lets me hear the kr through headphones to verify its a valid.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

i get consistent 3 degrees at wot. What timing do you feel to be max for 93 octane no meth, stock intercooler ect...15? 14?

And what are you talking about audible knock microphone? please elaborate.

Raised timing to about 15 and still same KR as when I was at 10, 12, 13.... Tip in helped a little I guess. but here are my latest files. What do you think?
    Attached Files Attached Files

depends on cars sensitivity......it could be 16-20* if your getting close to 17 on pump id say your doing good.
    do you have any lifter noise on cyl # 3?
    eric ive told you about the knock block before.... LinkECU Knock Block
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I used to get knock on 93 here at 12*. Crummy EPA blended fuel. E47 FTW.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    do you have any lifter noise on cyl # 3?
    Here is my latest log and tune. It appears that CYL 2 has nothing in it at all. The rest have some KR. How do I know its lifter noise?

Latest Log

listen to it to see if there's a clicking noise rpm based in the valve cover that is louder in one spot than the others.

when i look at 3 it has the most sensor noise just want to rule out mechanics

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    its quite possible you found ghost kr famous in the di fuel system ecotec line motors.

recommendation whatever rpm the kr is ghosting the most at try making the spark> retard> tip-in retard table a little more negative in that rpm to see if it helps. this helped me some when the throttle plate fluctuates a little during cruise.

other than that its a great tune, are you gonna add timing on the big end? your still at 9-12 from what i saw

i have a consistent phantom of 4* kr in cruise and it populates hard on cylinder #4. ive since removed my knock sensors and tuned timing with an external device that lets me hear the kr through headphones to verify its a valid.
    how are you using headphones to listen for the knock? my knock sensors are a nightmare on my car. I regularly perform compression and leak down tests on my car with no changes, because my knock sensors have become so erratic with their readings...

Tuner
    LNFNEWB....Read post #6 in this thread.