Thread: How do I setup HP Scan to diagnose a low rpm, high load misfire?

Tuner in Training

How do I setup HP Scan to diagnose a low rpm, high load misfire?

I've got the HP Pro interface and I'm wondering what items I should setup to help diagnose a low rpm, high load misfire. The engine is a LQ4 out of a 2004 Silverado that was swapped into a 71 Land Cruiser. It originally had a 4l80e but I swapped it out for an NV4500 with a custom tune created for it.

The misfire doesn't always happen at low rpm with heavy pedal but often enough. I've tried different grades of gas with no luck.

I've got a few suspicions but I want to be able to narrow it down before throwing money at the wrong place. It could be a loose spark plug, a bad wire, a leaky header, or even a bad tune.

So what datapoints are going to help me most?

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are parameters, at least on my car, available for misfires on each individual cylinder. I would start the and maybe change plug and/or wire on offending cylinder(s)

2008 Pontiac G8 GT, IHRA Modified, NHRA Pro ET

John I had a similar issue that drove me nuts once. Turned out a coil pack was only getting 1/2 charge so it would only appear in high load situations or when boost went over a certain amount. If you can isolate a cylinder as the culptit, maybe try swapping around coil packs and see if it follows.

Advanced Tuner
    Check your temp with a temp gun at each exhaust port.If one is off by alot that is your bad cylinder. That is how i found a bad coil.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the hints so far... I may break down and get a temp gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    There are parameters, at least on my car, available for misfires on each individual cylinder. I would start the and maybe change plug and/or wire on offending cylinder(s)
    Where would I find the parameter for measuring individual cylinder misfire? I tried looking through the list and didn't see it jumping out at me(maybe buried further in somewhere)

PID list, engine diagnostics, misfires. Add all current and history.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game