Thread: Car struggles to crank when hot...

Tuner

Car struggles to crank when hot...

Need some help please???

Just put together a 481 cube RHS tall deck combo. Big hydraulic cam, (259/276 on 114) and 12:1 comp. Car is an almost brand new VE Commodore, with only 5000 k's on the clock.

Got it running really well, (well it's a bit rough under 2000 rpm but I can live with that)..

The problem is, it doesn't like to crank when its hot??? It cranks perfectly when cold, but after a decent drive, (say to get fuel), it just REALLY struggles to crank... It almost seems like a flat battery, it's that bad...

Help

Flat battery!? Or it keep cranking with no start?
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Potential Tuner
    Can you post tune please?

Tuner
    It just struggles to crank. It's almost like a flat battery, where it doesn't even want to turn over, then cranks over slowly and fires up...

I'll post the tune tomorrow....

We just did a 500ci ERL LS block in a camaro that does the exact same thing and have not been able to find a solution. Car still starts fine when warm it just cranks slow.

To start a hot engine with high compression you need a good aftermarket starter, a stock one may not have enough torque to start the engine.

If a good starter isn't enough, you need to retard crank timing 4 deg at a time and test
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    My LSX block 454 does the same thing - cranks great cold and warm but slow motion after a long drive after sitting about 5-10 minutes. I had brand new battery put it an it still does it. They tested it and said the started was drawing too much. The headers run pretty close to the header not sure if the heat would do it.

Most high comp strokers I've come across do the same thing assuming there's not something else at play here, it's always hard to tell from a post. A decent starter should help, bt first make sure there's no earthing issues as these tend to be exaggerated when hot.

Advanced Tuner
    sounds like either a weak starter or electrical issue. Have you checked your cranking volts/ amps?
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85