Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Os enhansment change to 2barr not avalible. Why?

Wait a min, you mean this whole time, i could have just found a OS in the repository that supported 3 bar and write entire, that simple ? So what happen to the tech 2 being needed to do this and why didn't you tell me this before ? Or is there something im not understanding correctly here, after all the months of learning how to do a turbo on my truck, then being told i needed a tech2 gm dealer to flash my P59 controller with another OS.. i have got to be missing something, if all it takes is a tune from the repository and hpt . i don't know whether to be upset or happy .. but i do know im very confused now..
    Last edited by Monty; 04-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Wait a min, you mean this whole time, i could have just found a OS in the repository that supported 3 bar and write entire, that simple ? So what happen to the tech 2 being needed to do this and why didn't you tell me this before ? Or is there something im not understanding correctly here, after all the months of learning how to do a turbo on my truck, then being told i needed a tech2 gm dealer to flash my P59 controller with another OS.. i have got to be missing something, if all it takes is a tune from the repository and hpt . i don't know whether to be upset or happy .. but i do know im very confused now..
    I am too. It looks like there is only one way to find out.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

Please post up your results when you figure this out please. I too am very interested with this situation you have.

Senior Tuner
    I believe you just write entire but you have to licence the new file first.
    I could be wrong I have never done it but this is how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_WS6 View Post
    Found a file with the 6807.

This is not a trick question and forget liability. The customer is willing to buy a new PCM if need be or if I screw this one up. He understands the issues.

Correct me if I am wrong, if I wanted to try that cal I should write entire it into this PCM. The only thing I found different in the compare to my cal is a few Throttle settings. Should I past my throttle settings into it first then write entire or just go with it as is?

Or can I not do this with my HP Tuners and need to get my hands on a GM Tech Tool?

Again, we understand we are doing this at our own risk. Just looking for opinions and or guidance.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah write entire however our software cannot read/write to the TAC module so this can throw a monkey wrench into things which is why we don't suggest it. If you want to try it and possibly waste credits & possibly brick the pcm have at it. I try to give advice that will cause the least amount of issues & will cost the least amount of credits, if you decide to go against the advice given and something goes south there's really not much we can do and not only will you be out credits but out a pcm if it failed during the process.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I have results. It did not work. It did lock everything down. We will take the PCM to the dealer and see if they can re-flash it. So far not the answer.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.

Hopefully you have success with a Tech 2.

The evolution of your 2006 OS is probably as follows:
    • began with OS12606807
    • followed by OS12613246 (enhanced diagnostics)
    • followed by OS12619623 (improved E85 compatibility)

OS12606807 (2 bar supported by HPT) is simply an earlier version of the 2006 OEM PCM software. It should be compatible with the PCM you have, and with your truck.

So can I take just the PCM to the dealer or will they need the entire truck? Also can they put the OS I want on it or will they only put the latest version on it? Last any idea what they will need, VIN, anything else?

At first I flashed (write entire) the other file as it was. The truck would turn over but not start. The security light was on. I then charged the VIN and write entire again. It still would not start and the security light was still on. I linked the VATS. It would still roll over. I cleared the security code with the scanner. It would still role over. It smelled like it was flooding. I then changed the TPS settings to match the original file. Flashed it entire write. That was when the TPS position reads 100% always. I now have a loss communication with TPS fault. I then tried to flash the other TPS settings back in and that is when the PCM fails to write. Also now it will not roll over. Plan to take the pcm to the dealer in the morning to see if they can flash it or something.
    Last edited by Texas_WS6; 04-20-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Can you post your original tune and the replacement tune you flashed unsuccessfully ? Obviously something is not right ...

It is doubtful a GM dealer will be any help. They will want the entire vehicle (not just the PCM) and will probably only flash the calibration for your VIN - which would put you back to where you started.

An aftermarket tuning company with a Tech 2 and an old TIS CD/DVD (these are no longer produced) should be able to flash the calibration you require.

Again, I'm not sure why the write entire was unsuccessful.

We took the truck to the local dealer. They were very helpful and willing to do anything we wanted. The Tech is really into this kind of stuff. We had every tech on duty hanging around and excited to help.

Unfortunately they could not make the Tech 2 communicate with the original PCM. We did have to replace the PCM. They were willing to use any VIN number we wanted and download from GM the files and flash the PCM. We elected at this time to just put it all back to original. We was hoping GM updated the files and the new ones would work for us.

Good news is the truck is back to running as it did before hand.

Bad news is the files are the exact same as before.

Worst news:::: WHY the heck do I now have to re license it!? The new PCM has the same exact VIN and OS calibration numbers as the original that I already used two license's on. I have always understood that if you change the PCM and the same VIN and OS cal was put on the new PCM I would not have to re-license to work with it. What is up with that?

So as it stand, we still cannot change the OS to a 2 Barr. What are my other options?

I went ahead and spent two more credits so I can continue working on this truck. That makes 3 2006 Silverado trucks licensed. How many do I have to do to unlock the 06 Silverado's? Is there a way I can check to see if it is unlocked?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Help-license info-available upgrade credits will show you how many more credits for the year/model(likely only 1 or 2 more in your case).

why did you not do the 6807 os on the new pcm? credit use?
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    After looking up a few vin's the 6807 one has been grandfathered as well in lieu of newer operating systems. Shoot support a copy of the current file you are working with and I'll see what I can do, no promises though.

original, 6807, and current dealer installed tune.

Here are the three tunes I am working with. The first is the original tune out of the truck. The second is the tune I tried to flash into it (6807) so I would have 2barr enhanced. It is the one that bricked the PCM. The third is the present tune that the dealer put in with MAF deleted and rear O2's shut off.

I will send support the tune I am presently working with as you suggested.

Thanks everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just sent the tune and the info log to support viu my email. Thanks for the help.

Update...............

Have to give much thanks to the guys at HP Tuners. I sent the requested info in and they did look it over and provided a fix for it. I am now (and so can everyone else) able to change the OS to 2 Barr on this oddball OS.

Thanks guys, and I know yall had other fish to frie so a HUGE THANKS for the work yall did.

All is good and I am almost finished with this customers truck.

PS, the Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 8 is what I have been using with the latest HP Tuners version. So far all is working very good. I have had zero issues with it. Loving not having the larger laptop and all the wiring for it while tuning.