Thread: 2010 A6 Corvette Transmission in 2007 Corvette Model

Tuner in Training

2010 A6 Corvette Transmission in 2007 Corvette Model

I recently swapped in a used 2010 A6 transmission in place of my 07 A6 transmission for the firmer shifts, etc. I also carried over the 3200 Yank SS stall that was on my old trans.

We used tunercat to do the VIN match on the new TCM module and verified the write with HP Tuners.

The car will not shift out of first. It gets stuck at 40mph in 1st gear and HP Tuners Scanner shows the car is commanding 6th gear at that speed, however, the car just bucks and doesn't shift.

If I press the paddles, the "1 - 6" readout does not show.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Thanks for any help - this is very very frustrating.

A 2010 OS T43 TCM won't "talk" to a 2007 OS E38 ECM. Sort of like Windows XP trying to communicate with Windows 8 - it doesn't work as they "speak" a slightly different language.

Tuner in Training
    So in short, there's no possible way to make this work?

If I bought a 2009, or a 2008 trans would it mate up with an 07 ECM?

Of course I am kicking myself for trusting what I read online about this being a non-issue.

Do you still have the original 2007 A6 ?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I do. Is it possible to put that TCM on the new trans?

Or, can we swap an 08-09 PCM in place of my 07 PCM, tune it to my VIN, and will communicate with the ECU and new TCM? I'm not sure if the LS2 > LS3 makes this possible but I'm trying to research. Not many people do this but my Corvette is pretty built and I hate it not shifting right.

If I can somehow franken-assemble this, it'll be worth it because of so many upgrades they did between the 2007 and 2010 A6. I appreciate you at least attempting to help Shrek - in my eyes I'm already out $3g with the 2010 trans and install so I can't afford to do this again.
    Last edited by epic; 04-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

No worries ... The TCM from the 2007 A6 can be installed into the 2010 - and this is what I would recommend.

Couple of things ...

The A6 was refined mechanically by around the 2009 model year. There was a service bulletin out for the earlier variants - the most well known was for seal replacement to mitigate a potential loss (or inconsistency) in shift pressure.

So while your 2010 maybe mechanically better than the 2007, the shift feel itself is something that is addressed via tuning.

Given that this is a 2007 Corvette (not a custom car) you are married to the 2007 OS (ECM & TCM) - unless you are open to significant trial and error (which always costs money).

For what it is worth, most 2007 to 2009 A6s should accept the 2007 TCM OS you have. In 2010 a new TCM was released for many (but not all) models. There is a very high probability that trying to flash your 2007 TCM OS into the 2010 TCM will end its life (or at least be non-functional).

Install your 2007 TCM, tune from there, and enjoy the car ...

Tuner in Training
    Well, that some what relieves me. Is the TCM swap easy? Swapping in a 2010 PCM would not work I'm assuming but I can get one easy to try as long as it doesn't fry anything.

Gotta ask - have you done this before? Sounds like you have haha. It's near impossible searching on a topic like this.

If your advice gets my car working, I'm paypaling you beer money.

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Well, that some what relieves me. Is the TCM swap easy? Swapping in a 2010 PCM would not work I'm assuming but I can get one easy to try as long as it doesn't fry anything.
    Your TB (silver color blade) was last used in 2008. The 2009+ have a different TB (brass color blade). Again, in a production vehicle (non-Hot Rod) I wouldn't stray from the original OS (ECM & TCM).

Gotta ask - have you done this before? Sounds like you have haha. It's near impossible searching on a topic like this.
    Yes - although in the other direction. Many people want the "Staged Tap Shift" made popular by the new ZL1 Camaro - in an older A6.

If your advice gets my car working, I'm paypaling you beer money.
    The TCM and valve body are sold as an assembly. It is a fairly straight forward remove and replace - unless you try and split them.

I appreciated the sentiment, but this is about as far as I take you. I will always point people in the right direction, but similar to other business owners who contribute to this Forum - good will has its reasonable limits.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate it a lot - hope this helps someone else in the future. Hope to get it out as this season is short in Chicago!

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know if I should just swap over the TCM, or the full TCM and Valvebody?

Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    looking at putting a 2010 trans in an 08...what was the end result??

Does anyone know if I should just swap over the TCM, or the full TCM and Valvebody?
    I would swap them out as a assembly. Removing and installing as assembly is pretty much simple. The inverted torx headed bolts is what holds the assembly to the case.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    And I have the exact opposite combo, 07 trans in a 2010.

Swapping the VB didn't correct the problem.
    -Dealer reflash didn't help
    07 AWD TBSS 932/923...Back to stock-SOLD
    10 TT Corvette 3LT A6 Grand Sport-TBSS replacement
    13 Acadia Denali-her daily
    14 Impala Limited-the daily