Thread: Baseline datalog on 09 Cobalt SS/TC - questions on fuel trims

Baseline datalog on 09 Cobalt SS/TC - questions on fuel trims

I am gathering data for a baseline on my 2009 Cobalt SS/TC (LNF 2.0L) in preparation for a K&N short ram intake install. I've heard that it may skew the LTFT unless the filter is rotated so the metal rib is at the 11 o'clock position. However, I used my ELM327 datalogger (v1.5 BAFX) and the Torque Pro app to monitor LTFT, STFT, etc...

What I found was the LTFT remained at 0% regardless of load/RPM, while the STFT fluctuated between -5.47% and +11.72% essentially inline with the AFR on my RPD (the OEM display on the A-pillar that can show AFR based on the wideband O2) depending on what I was doing. While idling, the STFT hovers very closely around 0% (14.7:1).

Is this normal behavior?

If so, I at least have a baseline to see if the K&N SRI will throw off the LTFT and STFT. I am interested in the HPTuners VCM Suite so I can custom tune my LNF, but I've been using SCT's Pro Racer Package and Advantage software for about 10 years on my Fords and am unfamiliar with HPT.

Sounds like your STFT's are close to normal. The LNF seems to like to settle in at +0.8 to +1.6 LTFT when the STFT's are spot on. Close enough for most.

If you log STFT + LTFT vs MAF freq you can get a better idea of the average in most cells and adjust the MAF freq accordingly. Need to drive smoothly through the accel & decel for a long trip.

Some unplug the purge solenoid to force the LTFT's to 0 then log just the STFT's. I always left it connected and used the sum of the two in a custom pid.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

I don't have the HPTuner/VCM, and have been using the ELM327 and Torque Pro android app. I can't seem to find the PIDs for MAF Frequency. I will test out the purge solenoid today to see what's up, I know for a fact it is still connected. Do these frequently fail?

No, the disconnect will pop a CEL if you can't tune it out but they don't fail often. I meant unplugging it so the ECU thinks it's failed. That will force the LTFT's to zero for tuning.

Oh no, I never touched the harness or vacuum tube. I will check to see if the valve is physically bad though later today. Do I need to blow air through the valve with my mouth, or can I use a vacuum pump on the nipple instead?

According to Rock Auto, the purge solenoid is a hot seller for the LNF, another YouTube video showed a guy blowing through his solenoid and said it only lasted 1 year.

The Torque Pro app for Android does have MAF flow rate, which I believe is a standard/universal OBD2 PID (in gram/second). Would this be of any use?

Only if you can plot it vs STFT's. For tuning, a specific g/sec relates to a specific MAF freq. We alter the tables to bring them in line.

I believe the purge sol should pass air when energized only.

Potential Tuner
    ^^^ I second that.
    2009 Chevy cobalt ss
    Wiseco pistons
    Gt3076
    Zzp turbo manifold. Aem water meth
    Custom downpipe( for now)
    38mm external gate
    Greddy bov
    Injen hot side piping. Custom intake
    Tr6 intercooler. Tuning on HP tuners