Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to start? Neutral Coasting / Hanging Idle

Tuner in Training

My question, is wouldnt the idle remain high if I had a vacuum leak? Or could the computer correct for it?

Everything seems fine right now by lowering the BAF to achieve near zero on STIT. The only question I had is .700 for 176 and above too low?

I do have a very un-restrictive intake system, FAST 92 throttle body, FAST 102 Intake, and a small 228/228 cam in a 346. Does it need a ton of air to idle?

I haven't really gotten into the tuning, so I can't help there, but I can tell you this is a common problem with manual GM vehicles. This may help someone figure out where you need to look in the tune.

GM sets the programming so the IAC stays open while you're driving with a manual so when you hit the clutch the engine doesn't die. If you look in a owner's manual it will state that the throttle will hang and you need to keep it in gear until 1500 rpms or below. Not sure where you'd have to look to find that in the program, but a quick test. Drive around, when coming to a stop keep it in gear until 1500 rpms, then push in the clutch and it should idle correctly.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
    I haven't really gotten into the tuning, so I can't help there, but I can tell you this is a common problem with manual GM vehicles. This may help someone figure out where you need to look in the tune.

GM sets the programming so the IAC stays open while you're driving with a manual so when you hit the clutch the engine doesn't die. If you look in a owner's manual it will state that the throttle will hang and you need to keep it in gear until 1500 rpms or below. Not sure where you'd have to look to find that in the program, but a quick test. Drive around, when coming to a stop keep it in gear until 1500 rpms, then push in the clutch and it should idle correctly.

Thats about on Par with what it's acting like now. I don't know if setting the throttle cracker to OEM is what fixed it or the BAF. But I do recall lowering the BAF months ago and still had the idle hang.

The "cruise control" is exactly what mine does. Also the high idle on hot start. Have you ever figured this out? Mine is an auto.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    The "cruise control" is exactly what mine does. Also the high idle on hot start. Have you ever figured this out? Mine is an auto.

I have the same issue. It seems like a common issue. Has anyone figured it out?

Thank you,
    Christian

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tuned the idle? It sounds like the idle air is possibly set too high.

Have a look at this post in the readme section:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...8776#post78776
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...