Thread: learned the hard way :/

learned the hard way :/

So as the title says i learned the hard way and didnt do research on the forums before i went and filled the car with full E85 fuel.. well i pop the good ole low fuel rail pressure it pops and cracks and falls on its face..

i went online and started reading a little more that what i knew about E85 and noticed a cobaltss.net forum where vince from trifecta started.. i guess out HPFP just cant keep up?

i lowered fuel rail pressures. took injection timing and went almost to the extreme.. 420*.. it runs better but still running out of fuel down low.. not so much top end.

i am seeing upwards of 19 m/s pulswidths and thats normally when the popping and cracking happens then they drop and its fine till redline.. it pulls like a hoss.

question is- (i did some searching yes) has it been confirmed we cant run e85 without modification to the pump or has someone been able to get this to work?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    No it works fine. Did you add 30% to your injector constant before tuning?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

You can run E85 if you limit the boost, but like I've posted many times...What's the point?

The fuel system on many of our LNF's cannot keep up with over ~70% E around 24 psi boost tapering to 19 or so at redline. YMMV.

Yes, at 16-18 psi it will. E47 is the sweet spot for 24 psi tunes. If you don't want to mix at the pump, back the boost down (and sacrifice the power you are trying to make).

Just an old man's experienced opinion.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    You can run E85 if you limit the boost, but like I've posted many times...What's the point?

The fuel system on many of our LNF's cannot keep up with over ~70% E around 24 psi boost tapering to 19 or so at redline. YMMV.

Yes, at 16-18 psi it will. E47 is the sweet spot for 24 psi tunes. If you don't want to mix at the pump, back the boost down (and sacrifice the power you are trying to make).

Just an old man's experienced opinion.
    I added the 30% constant. But I'm running 27psi and on gas it runs perfect.. once I put e85 in it.. it doesn't wanna do anything lol it sucks but I wanna keep boost where it is so ill just switch back to 93and once I get my daily driver running good Ill start tuning E fuels
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

You are going to learn about ringlands the hard way also if you are running 27 psi on a stock turbo, meth or not. I don't see a turbo upgrade in your mod list. Back that sucker down to 24 psi.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    You are going to learn about ringlands the hard way also if you are running 27 psi on a stock turbo, meth or not. I don't see a turbo upgrade in your mod list. Back that sucker down to 24 psi.
    lol ehh its not a daily im actually buying a new block and building it up soon.. ass custom piping and manifolds and stuff. the car only gets driven like 1 a week maybe. its sad to see it sit but its what happens when you get a race car like a honda to drive daily lol
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift