Thread: 4L65E tuning help needed

Potential Tuner

4L65E tuning help needed

Hey guys!
    Long time lurker here
    To start off i own a 2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS (Holden Commodore VE SS or Pontiac G8 GT us version) and my car is equipped with the auto 4 speed m32 4L65e trans. The PCM is already tuned by my friend and we didnt touch the TCM coz none of has any knowledge on how to do so. My main concern is when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd the car dies (stalls) and rebuilds power gradually after and i feel that the shifts are kinda sloppy. So from my understanding and reading its all about torque management.
    My question is can i modify the TM for the Sport Shift mode (Sport shift button next to the gearknob) and keep the normal shift stock? i think it has to do with Pattern X or Y or Z in HPT.
    Ive read the guide written by CoolAid on how to tune the 4L60/65/70E trans.
    and followed his TM steps and went ahead and lowered the torque reduction by 50% on pattern X. same thing applied to Abuse mode torque reduction. Also under the Abuse mode reduction duration i also lowered all 1 values by 50%.

Hope someone with good knowledge can steer me into the right direction

I attached a pic with the modifications done for the trans TM. And uploaded my both my modified TM and non modified TM tunes in the my third post.

Thanks in advance
    Mario
    Last edited by MarioSS; 03-29-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone please
    Last edited by MarioSS; 03-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Potential Tuner
    okay went ahead and pulled my latest tune that doesnt include any TCM modification.
    I went ahead and modified that tune. I started by lowering the torque reduction by 75% on pattern X, and Abuse mode torque reduction. Including the Abuse mode reduction duration i lowered all the 1 values by 75%.
    I drove the car for a while and i did notice a great difference! But my major concern if i can improve the 1st to second shift as the power loss is still there but not as much as before.
    Should i also lower the Torque reduction on Pattern Y also?
    Ill attach both my latest tune without any TCM modification, and the one that i modified.
    Hoping someone will have the time to have a look at it and help me improve my shifts and loss in power between shifts
    Last edited by MarioSS; 03-29-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Maybe your Engine TQ management is cutting power too. It maxes out th shift TQ at 280. I don't know how shift time works on the 4L65 but it seems really slow compared to what we do on the 6L80. You could do a search on the Tune Repository for anyone running the 4L65 and compare what they've done to your tune so far. There's a 2004 SSR tune I found, but it must be a different version of HP tuners. Here's the link.

http://www.hptuners.com/customers/tu...ownload&id=759

Remember, if you changes something and it doesn't work, you can always change it back.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the heads up Matt82! i really appreciate it man.
    Ill have a look at the SSR Tune you linked. But as you know am a noobie trying to learn
    4L65e shares the same (pressure tables, time tables, torque reduction tables) as the 4L60E
    Lets hope some more people would have a look at my thread and contribute
    Last edited by MarioSS; 03-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I re-modified my latest tune and lowered also Pattern Y by 80% under Transmission Torque Management.
    As i mentioned earlier the power loss is still there and anyone can notice it.
    Not sure if a log will help pinpoint my issue and make it cleared.
    I logged a WOT 1st-2nd gear. And one more 1st-2nd-3rd.

I would love to hear your input guys

Potential Tuner

Potential Tuner
    I feel so lonely lol

Edit: Happy Easter!

Potential Tuner
    Guess the 4L65e isn't popular at all

Advanced Tuner
    hey mate try reducing the abuse/tm to zero and see how that goes and give the release etc set up on the converter bit of a tickle and go from there... made a huge difference on me daily driven L76 vz ute-4L65E also, some say not to reduce the TM that far but my ls1 H+C set up on me weekend warrior has a stock factory 4L60E and that has O zero TM and I have beaten the mmm out of it for 4yrs and had no problem what so ever but every gearbox is different and I think LUCK has 60% to do with it and the other 40% is good programming ie pressures etc and maintenance...mate you can be the best gearbox builder but not have the right perssures etc and set up and that gearbox will not last at all I have seen it and witnessed it ....have fun and thanks for your time

Potential Tuner
    So I have just started to tune my 4T-65E in my 98 green Riviera. Its running an L67 with a 3.4 inch ZZP pulley on stock M90 and all the rest stock. It pulls strong and willing and the trans is pretty good but a bit sloppy. I have been playing with a few things on it to remedy a harsh part throttle 4-3 down shift and improve the overall feel of the unit. I played with tq mgmt. and turned it off and increased the oil pressure to 100 psi max as well as moving shift times to .250 form .450. It was harsh but interesting. The shutting off of tq mgmt. really showed up under full throttle upshifts. The timing and pressure boost left shudder on the 1-2 shift . The transmission shifted fast and hard enough to slip the clutches. So since then I have rewritten the table a few times each time making changes. In the last incarnation, imported the performance table onto the stock table and then set shift time to .350 for low torque and .300 for torque over 200 I have yet to drive it \i will try it out this week and see. I turned on the tq mgmt. and left it stock. I have a second 98 Riv in Blue, same options and almost identical mileage. I put a 3.3 inch pulley on that all rest stock. It pulls strong and uses only 2 degrees of knock retard in 5 to 15 Celsius ambient temp. I compare the stock shift of that car where its trans shifts healthy and I don't find the Tq Mgmt. intrusive... it is a luxury car after all! But I use Green Riv as the test bed. I will alter the blue one next. My tables show they never reduce torque more than 30 lbs. Generally 8-15 depending. I also altered the 4 gear upshift to not occur until45 mph and set the tcc to crack loose in 3rd gear in the sweet spot of 35-44 at a lower throttle angle thinking it will make it a bit more spirted at lower speeds.. That's perf table. Stock is less. So your table of torque reduction confuses me. Anyhow I will try the new trans tune out soon and let you know.

Need to keep Abuse Mode Stock. It pull Advance Torque Mgmt timing if changed
    JRXTuning & Performance
    Fort Worth Texas
    [email protected]

2011 CTSV https://youtu.be/WUuGxYNfJjk
    2008 GMC Sierra 5.7, Nitrous Outlet 200shot, 4.10 gears (Sold)
    2007 GMC Sierra 4.8 4/7 drop, Tune only
    2007 CTS-V BTR STG4,TFS225,MSD Airforce,102NW TB