Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LNF E85 Info Thread

Advanced Tuner
    I would guess most people will say to go through all the LNF tuning threads and how to's and then tackle it yourself. Most of the threads are tagged with LNF in the title, so it's easy to search on here or using google (for google, just search "LNF HPTuners" and look for the forum links). Once you get through those threads, feel free to bring any questions to the board and we will help with specific answers. Myself, and most of the other guys are willing to help, but won't do it for you.

Tuner in Training
    Ok guys, need some help, been trying to search about tuning for these Opel injectors. I have a Fuel Cam and the Opel injectors, how/ what is needed to change for the Opel injectors? The Injectors Const?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, just run it til your long term fuel trims stop changing and then multiply the injector constant by the LTFT. Could prolly get it in the ballpark by multiplying the injector constant by 0.86 (taking 14% out of the value).

Tuner in Training
    Mkriebs:

Ok so my LTFT is 5.5 and the injector constant is 0.03238

so 0.03238 x 5.5 = 0.17809

Does that seem right?

Iam not a tuner, Been trying to learn but this seems to be like reading Spanish (I failed Spanish BTW)

Advanced Tuner
    No, you will want to take 5.5% out of 100%, in decimal form. Whenever you modify a number by a percent, you multiply it by the decimal amount. So 5.5% in decimal form is 0.055, if you wanted to add 5.5% per se (which you need to do here), you would multiply the value by 1.055, the 1 is so you keep your whole value, then the .055 is the modification you want to make.

Does this make sense?

So...
    0.03238(1.055)= whatever your calculator spits out.

Tuner in Training
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I guess I should have listened more in math class. Iam not ready for this. Lol

I got 0.0341609

Advanced Tuner
    Seems right.

It's really easier if you just make a PID that keeps track of the LTFT, then you can just paste as a percent in the table. I just do it the long way though, too lazy to make the PID lol.

Tuner in Training
    now with these injectors what do they mean by the pulse window will be narrowed? I understand that It will close the window that the injector is open due to them being bigger, but is there a write up on it somewhere.

Thanks again mkriebs

Advanced Tuner
    That's exactly what it means. So since they're bigger, they can squirt XXX amount of fuel in a shorter amount of time, which is good.

Tuner in Training
    ok good, see iam learning, But how do you go about finding the right window? What is the process? is it as simple as minus 14% of that cell number?

Also, I installed the ZZP fuel cam about a week ago, and just by installing those is it possible that I would have been having a injector window miss? Car ran fine, until I got about 6k RPM and 25PSI on my 256ET. No CEL, seemed like a misfire tho
    Last edited by hucks1987; 11-13-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: iam stupid

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i only found one problem to tuning the injector constant based off of total ltft average.
    once you have made the adjustment you will notice in most cars that the trims go negative or positive biased at idle and wot but around mid range its fine. double check your ltft average and its on point.
    this occurs because you spend the most of your street time cruising around through the middle of the map.
    since idle is the most fidgety i let them idle and turn things on and off to check the trims at idle then skew them accordingly. this prevents double humping your maf corrections and keeps the table exponential as designed.
    best part is it allows better accuracy at idle which helps a lot when you wish to flat line tune that section.

Don't take this as the only way to tune for E fuel, its just another option that has worked well for me.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Ahhhh just a heads up here guys...

I would strongly recommend running these LNF's without LTFT's. The easiest way is unplugging the purge solenoid and resetting the LTFT's to zero. If you leave the purge unplugged the LTFT's will stay locked at zero.
    The reasons I say turn them off are because E69's only have ONE LTFT cell! That's an extremely crude way to control mixture changes. Most ECM's have multiple cells. That means on the LNF the LTFT's are making global adjustments to the trims. So if you're rich at idle and the LTFT's are negative, go to half throttle/half load and that same negative LTFT is gonna make it run lean there. Direct Injection with a wideband is extremely accurate on fueling. STFT's on a DI motor work about the same way LTFT's work on a Port Injected motor. There is absolutely no need to run LTFT's on a tuned DI engine. The OEM's use LTFT's because they have to make sure the ECM will have enough range to account for 100k miles worth of different fuels, 13k feet worth of possible elevation changes and changing engine conditions. Unless you're driving your LNF across country, you really don't need LTFT's. I don't even have them enabled on my LSA.

Tuner in Training
    ok so let me get this right...

I should just let the car sit at idle for awhile, then once the LTFT stops moving and use that number to find the injector cont.?

So if the LTFT stop at 1.2 =1.012
    and then should I use my stock injector cont.? or should I just the one for the E47?

Tuner in Training
    working copy.hpt14-nov-4.hpl

Just so yall can see what iam working with if you want. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you run ltft then your trim change gets applied to your injector constant to adjust for ethanol. if ltft stops at 1.2 then multiply injector constant by 1.012 as you mentioned before.
    when you apply the 15% increase to the injector constant that is just to put you in a ballpark range so you can make the adjustment off of your trims afterwards.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Ahhhh just a heads up here guys...

I would strongly recommend running these LNF's without LTFT's. The easiest way is unplugging the purge solenoid and resetting the LTFT's to zero. If you leave the purge unplugged the LTFT's will stay locked at zero.
    The reasons I say turn them off are because E69's only have ONE LTFT cell! That's an extremely crude way to control mixture changes. Most ECM's have multiple cells. That means on the LNF the LTFT's are making global adjustments to the trims. So if you're rich at idle and the LTFT's are negative, go to half throttle/half load and that same negative LTFT is gonna make it run lean there. Direct Injection with a wideband is extremely accurate on fueling. STFT's on a DI motor work about the same way LTFT's work on a Port Injected motor. There is absolutely no need to run LTFT's on a tuned DI engine. The OEM's use LTFT's because they have to make sure the ECM will have enough range to account for 100k miles worth of different fuels, 13k feet worth of possible elevation changes and changing engine conditions. Unless you're driving your LNF across country, you really don't need LTFT's. I don't even have them enabled on my LSA.
    Great advice here and this was something I was actually mulling over in my head. My LTFTs change to about 1.6 at idle, then when I cruise they end up going to -0.8. This, in turn changes the STFT, which makes it difficult to dial in the MAF, but this is old news to everyone. The purge solenoid does not affect performance, which is a good thing when leaving it unplugged. I was wondering if this swing in LTFT is causing some of the knock that we're seeing, or at least some of the inconsistent knock.

Now, the LTFT is great when dialing in the injector constant, in my opinion. First, it's easy since the math is already done for you. Second, it seems to be relatively accurate. This is why I have not unplugged my purge solenoid yet, since I have just switched to E85, I am using the LTFT to tell me what the mixture is. Yes, I know I should be testing, but I lost my test tube and it's so cold I am sure that I am on E70 winter blend.

Too cold to have the car out now, I keep getting sideways in third gear, so I guess I will go into hibernation mode...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hucks1987 View Post
    ok so let me get this right...

I should just let the car sit at idle for awhile, then once the LTFT stops moving and use that number to find the injector cont.?

So if the LTFT stop at 1.2 =1.012
    and then should I use my stock injector cont.? or should I just the one for the E47?
    What I would do is start with a completely stock map. Adjust the injector constant by 30% if running full E85, then let it run there for a while, go cruise a little, and let the LTFT settle in then make the final adjustment. From there, I would cruise some more, and get the STFT dialed in from the stock MAF tables (unless you're running a relocated MAF, then I would work from the modified MAF tables). Once those STFT are under 3-5% then I would start working on the other tables as discussed in the LNF threads on the forum here.

I always order my tuning like this: Fuel, Air, Timing, other aspects (for the LNF, this would be cam timing and what not). Once that is all fairly well dialed in, I go back through in the same order and readjust things for fine tuning. I like to number my tune files in order of what stage I am in, so like a for my E85 tune, the first is E851.11.hpt, helps me keep organized.

Just random thoughts. Everyone has a different style though, and I am by no means a professional lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry guys, work has kept me from here and tuning. Definitely seen some questions that weren't fully answered so when I actually have a computer in front of me I'll try to answer or do a write-up on what I know.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Hi Tom!!! How's the Bee doing? I'm at 650whp/609wtq now with my LSA Sky on pump gas and stock injectors. The gas tank is WAAAAAYYY too small to run any Ethanol mix! Nice to see you're still keeping an eye on these young'ns here.

Matt, save yourself a bunch of headache and just use E47. When the tank is empty just put 6 gallons of premium and 6 gallons of E85 in it. Full E85 in an LNF actually makes LESS power than E47. You get into injection window misfires and fuel pressure issues. On E47 you can run up to 26 degrees ign timing, there's really no more power going higher anyway. Many studies have shown the knock reduction from Ethanol drops off after as low as 30-40% anyway.

On the 5th injector issue... There's only one guy that's come up with a system that works. (hmmmm, who could that be?) ZZP's setup is garbage. Stupidest idea I've ever seen to inject ANYTHING into a tiny little bowl that then has to run through a passage to get into the intake manifold. Whatever atomizing the injector did to the fuel is lost as the fuel gathers in that bowl and turns back into liquid fuel. They don't care though, and their customer base is too stupid to know any better either. Again, if you're gonna try a 5th injector, save yourself a bunch of trouble and just copy my design. A bunch of guys already have and I've yet to see a problem with any of them out there. It's a good design, very similar to the old Throttle Body Injection where one or two injectors sprayed into the manifold above the throttle plate. Sure it wasn't as good as Port Injection, but it worked. What my design does is sprays the fuel directly over the throttle plate. There's no way you could possibly get any pooling or uneven fueling to any of the cylinders. As far as what to run through it, I took my feed right off the low side fuel pressure test port. You never have to worry about filling a tank, and the low side stock pump is plenty good for ~500whp if you bump the pressure up. I'm not a fan of water/meth injection, but yeah you could run that through a 5th injector. I personally would rather run E47 out of the regular gas tank, or E85 if you want to setup a separate tank and pump.

FWIW, ~500whp is a reasonable goal on an LNF Kappa. Anything past that and it gets a LOT more difficult. There are dozens of Kappas running around out there at 450-500whp pretty reliably. As long as your goals are below that, it's all been done and documented by others so just do the same and you'll be fine. If you want more power than that, get ready to spend some time and money!

Here's some pics of what my 5th injector setup looked like. It's still alive and working fine on a gal's EFR Sky in Texas.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/IMG_2404.jpg
    LOL, hi, John. I see you haven't changed a bit.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok not a lot of available time but real quick I'll give out some info. Full e85 on an aggressive tune will cause fuel pressure to drop too much. Either do the 5th injector or the cam lobe if your stock turbo and want full e85. I highly recommend e47 for a lot of reasons. If you want to know just ask me and I'll explain any of this when I have more time. As for the 5th injector I am against ZZPs as well. Sorry Matt but injecting where the new design is, while convenient, I think is a horrible idea. Again I can explain everything later. As for e85 vs e47 I think the biggest benefit of e85 is the convenience. Basically everything else I just about favor e47. If I can get away with it on my setup I'll go with e60 but that is to meet my needs. Every setup is different and a lot depends on how YOU want it tuned on what I would recommend to run. I would love to build your setups my way but peoples wants are different and it'll change what fuel you should run and how it's tuned.