Thread: hanging idle and cant change target idle speed?

hanging idle and cant change target idle speed?

2000 formula bolt on car, stock heads, stock cam, ls6 intake, lt headers, fipk, p&p tb and maf housing. i have the car running within a 2% error on the ve and maf tables but now i have a hanging idle issue when coasting. when coming to stop and i push the clutch in the car will hang around 1200 rpm untill i few sec after i come to a complete stop then it will drop to around 825. i raised the throttle cracker enable speed to 25mph and it did nothing, i zeroed out the throttle cracker table and it did nothing so i am lost with what else to try there. i also am having problems with the target idle speed. i changed it to 650 above 140* and did a entire write of the tune and it still idles at 825. i checked to see if the tb blade was closing all the way an it seems to be fine, i tried to adjust the idle screw on the tb and if i put it any lower the tb blade will just stick so i am assuming it is good. my tps reads 0% at idle. so i am at a loss at what to do next. i am new to tuning but the only things i can think of is my idle airfow is off since tuning the maf an ve or my idle spark is to high. i will post my tune and final log when i get home from work. any thoughts in the mean time?

here is my tune and i final log i did. ill have to get a better log tomorrow displaying idle better.

Potential Tuner
    Bump..

I am at work but have you ran the russ k idle config? is this a tune after you have completed work on the car? is it dbw or dbc throttle body?

dbc tb. its just a tune from stock to all the listed bolt ons. and yes i did run the russ k idle config and i fixed the throttle cracker hanging idle problem. now i just need to figure out why when i change the target idle it still idles the same even after a entire write.

i also noticed today when scaning i tried to force the idle down with the vcm controls but it still would not go below 825, i think when i comanded 500 it was idling at 800.

Advanced Tuner
    Throttle blade sticking at all? I've seen them close up but still hang open enough to register with the throttle position sensor and disable adaptive idle.

yea it sticks if i snap it shut. ill take the tb off friday, take it apart and clean it real good an see if that helps.

I am at work and can't look at your log from this computer. What are your IAC counts (position) when it is hanging? If it is 0 or very low then it must be getting idle air from another source (vacuum leak, bad pcv valve).

this is the log i did when i used the russ k config to change my idle airflow. my idle was set at 650 in this tune.
    Last edited by hodge9386; 03-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.

did you ever get this fixed? I looked at your log and the IAC went to 0 by the time the engine temp was only up to 118*F (this means it is completely closed). The IAC should be around 60-80 with the engine fully warmed up 190-195* at idle - with the IAC closing so quickly to try and control the idle speed means that the engine is getting idle air from another source (vacuum leak, hole in throttle blade is too big, etc.).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
    did you ever get this fixed? I looked at your log and the IAC went to 0 by the time the engine temp was only up to 118*F (this means it is completely closed). The IAC should be around 60-80 with the engine fully warmed up 190-195* at idle - with the IAC closing so quickly to try and control the idle speed means that the engine is getting idle air from another source (vacuum leak, hole in throttle blade is too big, etc.).

Kind of sounds familiar to my problem...My IAC count however when it hangs is 130ish...than it drops to idle at about 33. Idle config did nothing for me. I can't seem to find the root cause why my IAC stays open.

Advanced Tuner
    Your idle airflow numbers are real high. Probably has to do with your iac counts going to 0. You need to get your iac counts fixed before you do the idle config.