Thread: 93 nissan 240 ls1 swap mode 1 error

Advanced Tuner

93 nissan 240 ls1 swap mode 1 error

i had a customer bring a 93 nissan 240 with a 2000 ls1/t56 out of a camaro by today for some tuning. i was able to extract the existing stock file out of the ecu, but when i tried to flash i got a "mode 1 error" while it was downloading the bootloader (i think thats what it says).

i did a quick search and it seems most of the time this is a battery voltage issue. but the same problem existed with a battery charger hooked up.

we also tried a different ecu that the customer had also with no luck.

does anyone know what could be causing this? i told him to go and check power and ground at the ecu and let me know if he finds anything.

is there a description of what the various errors mean? i have seen mode 2 and mode 3 as well.

thanks in advance for any help.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post
    ..... i told him to go and check power and ground at the ecu and let me know if he finds anything.......
    I think you are on the right track there.
    Check all Main grounds as well.

Tuner in Training
    While obviously paying special attention to that whole cigarette lighter/com port circuit for interference via shorts, bad grounds, accessories wired in, even just spotting higher than called for fuses can help pinpoint gremlins.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the input guys. im gonna see if he can just have me diagnose the car rather than have him try a few things and come back to see if it worked.

im still thinking electrical.