Thread: Cavalier 2001 2.4l LD9 - Lots of KR

Tuner in Training

Cavalier 2001 2.4l LD9 - Lots of KR

I'm having what I think is the phantom knock problem with the LD9.

I did many drive of 1 hour cruising at highway speed while logging and have lots of KR all over the place... I did take a few time between 3* and 5* and it made not much difference.

I read once that there might be a way to lower the knock sensor sensitivity... Do one of you would know something about this?

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by GTP@2727; 03-21-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Senior Tuner
    File and Log?

These are bad for #3 Bearing going out.

Tuner in Training
    here you go... they are from last spring as I parked the car during the summer not having much time to spend on it...

Senior Tuner
    1. List Mods
    2. Get a wideband
    3. Start with VE Tuning
    4. Copy High Spark to Low Spark Table(even Alc tables) When Tuning Spark make changes to all tables.
    5. Have a Read Here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=21

Tuner in Training
    1. Cold Air Intake (AEM brand) and MagnaFlow CatBack exhaust...
    2. I have the DynoJet wide band but I haven't installed it on the car. but will do for sure.

Have you seen similar KR problem before when tuning?

I appreciate your help and will definitely look at VE tuning. Should I consentrate on VE and once done move on to Spark tuning? or should I try do both at the same time?

I'm planning to do off-road track racing with this car.

thanks

Senior Tuner
    get the WB in, and then read that link and start with VE.

I ran into a similar prob. with another j-body....different motor, but same symptoms.

As an experiment, set your timing to something ridiculously low, that would have absolutely no chance of causing legitimate knock retard....eg. 5-6 deg. I'm guessing it makes absolutely no improvement to the kr you're seeing. It appears from your log that the kr the car is seeing happens in direct relation to putting a load on the powertrain. Each time the tps goes up, kr goes up. If altering the timing as I suggested above doesn't get rid of the issue (& I don't think it will), go over the car looking for bad motor mounts etc.

Tuner in Training
    This is very interesting Shane.... you got it right as the KR occurs under load. As soon as I take take my car out I will try with your suggested timing... until then I will spend some time to look at the motor mounts.

thanks for the info!

The LD9 likes to have ghost knock.

Lowering the knock sensor sensitivity will help.

Tuner in Training
    how can I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by GTP@2727 View Post
    how can I do this?

Go to the Spark Tab, then Retard, Then Base Retard table, lower that number. Maybe 10-20%