Thread: Injector Delima - Need help

Tuner in Training

Injector Delima - Need help

Ok, So my tuner is getting 99% duty cycle on my Bosch 0280155811 Injectors by 6200 rpm. 86% by 5700 rpm. We are using the tables from the ASA tune. These are the Bosch 36 lb injectors that came in the grand prix's. I am in need of bigger Injectors. i want something with Dta. Here is what I have found and was wondering what peoples opinions are. Also here are specs of build.

LS3 Block stroked to 406 (3.9" crank) with TEA Stage 2 ported 243 cathedral heads. Fast 92 Intake with 92mm Throttlebody. Ls1 Fuel rail. 11.5 to 1 compression. Expecting around 525 at wheels.

Not sure if I should be maxing these 811 Injectors but that is what log shows with wide band. I am going too ask tuner to email me log to post up. They are in the tune as 40.7 lb at 0 kpa.

Option #1. LS3 injectors. these are 42 lb at or pressure and John at Fuel Injector Connection said i wont be any better with these then the 811's I have. These seems odd since guys with Z06's are making near 600 at the wheels on these. I also saw that they are linear up to 95% duty cycle at 7000 rpm as they only need .75 ms refresh time. To make them work, I need upper spacers and to change connectors. I didn't want to get all this stuff and find I am maxing themout as well. John also said he has seen plenty of these fail from driving them this high. I have not seen any info to corroborate that. Also, seems Injector spray pattern is similar to my 811's with a 13 deg cone vs 15deg on my white Gen III's. I have a set of these but was talked out of using them in favor of Option #2

option #2.. Bosch Green Giant. 42lb at 43.5 psi or 48 lb at 58 psi. These give me the extra head room I need and are plug and play in the LS1 intake setup. Correct length and correct connector. He has tables for these except fuel to wall Impact. I thought these were a Ford Injector from the Lightning but those are Green Tops. The Green Giant seems to be a Volvo OEM injector. It may also be used by Ford but I have yet to be able to confirm. I was all set to use these until i found a thread that talked about why not to use the Ford 39lb blue injectors in a single valve head as they have a split cone spray pattern. Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQeA77skuk Funny enough, this video was posted by John at FIC which is where I ordered the Green Giants. He makes the spacers for the LS3 injectors but we went this route instead. Now I find out that the Green Giants (0280155968) have the same split spray pattern as the Ford Blue 39 lb inj. Here is a video which shows what the pattern of the green 42 looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ne6AVnF2k

So now even tough I have all the tables except the fuel to wall impact, I have reservations of using these. Which brings me back to option 1 or options 3.

Option #3. Ls9 injectors. OEM Injector that has all the data but was told they have a splayed spray pattern since they sit at an angle in the LS9 and would not work well in my Fast 92 Cathedral port intake. Also designed for a blower setup. I am N/A. Not sure what the consensus is here on that.

So have I missed any option that has the correct spray pattern, will work in my Fast 92 intake, that has more flow than what I have now, and that also has data. Should I try using these green giants? I was thinking of turning them 90 deg so the pattern was vertical vs horizontal. It looks like i may have to space the rail up a tad but it may work.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Use LS3/LS7 injectors. You won't hurt them, and the hard coded reset time will keep them just fine. They will max out around 590rwhp naturally aspirated if your pump can keep up. You sure you're maintaining fuel pressure?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

I have the same injectors on my 418 and am under 90% IDC.

Check your fuel pressure at WOT.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    will do, I have a fuel pressure gauge on the dash that logs data and will play it back. I do not recall it dropping below 4 bar, but there is a lot going on at WOT in 4th gear on the street

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to send these Greenies back then and just get the Spacers. That's what my gut told me to do in the 1st place.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    I have the same injectors on my 418 and am under 90% IDC.

Check your fuel pressure at WOT.

Russ Kemp

Russ, when you say you have the same injectors, are you referring to LS3 injectors or the Bosch 811 white injectors that I have now?

Quote Originally Posted by mfilippello View Post
    Russ, when you say you have the same injectors, are you referring to LS3 injectors or the Bosch 811 white injectors that I have now?
    The white Bosch 36 lb/hr injectors.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    how much HP are you making? Definitely need to do some troubleshooting if your not maxing them out on a 418? I would think around 550rwhp for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mfilippello View Post
    how much HP are you making? Definitely need to do some troubleshooting if your not maxing them out on a 418? I would think around 550rwhp for you.
    Haven't had this new engine on the dyno yet.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    also, if i go with these LS3 injectors, which data should I use? Camaro or Z06? I see LS7 data converted to LS1 pcm but haven't seen Camaro data.

It doesn't really matter.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Took all the Injectors to my buddies shop to flow test them. The Bosch 811's flowed the same as the LS3 injectors. So this confirms that the the 811's are actually 42lbers in our cars. This is what John from FIC told me and he was right. So I shouldn't be maxing these out either. I am going to test fuel pressure and such tonight. If that turns out ok, any ideas why I would be seeing higher duty cycles than should be expected?

As for the green Giants, they definitely had a split stream pattern and are designed for multi valve setups. When we put them in the tube to see how much they flowed, they just wet the sides of the tube. The other injectors squirted right down to the bottom of the tube. They did flow 10cc's more in the 30 sec test. They are going back though.

Tuner in Training
    and the answer is.......... fuel pressure dropping to 3 bar near top of rpm band. Now to find whether its the pump or lines that's the restriction.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread but you said that you had tables for the Green Giant injectors. Curious if you could tell me where you found them. Thanks