Thread: Best approach to making a base tune for a swap car

Potential Tuner

Best approach to making a base tune for a swap car

Ok, I'm ready to start trying to tune my 5.3 Mustang but have a couple questions regarding the best approach to making a base tune.

I'm running a 02 Camaro with manual transmission operating system, as the only thing from the 5.3 that I'm using is the longblock, coils & throttle body. The rest of the car is setup like a LS1 Camaro.

Can I copy & paste most of the 5.3 stuff & have it close enough for right now? I was doing some of this last night night, but with some of the parameters, when I would paste them to the 02 Camaro file & double check them, they would be all red. I wasn't sure if I should proceed doing this or not, but I quit.

I'm just trying come up with a solid base tune & to have the car run decent for the time being until I get a wideband for in it.

Can I just run the 02 Camaro file that I'm using & change the displacement to 5.3 & be done for now?

Advanced Tuner
    The main thing is to make sure the MAF and injectors tables match the components being used. The truck coils may have slightly different dwell settings which should also be changed. With a car intake on a 5.3 it would probably be closer just running the Camaro tune as a baseline.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger