Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Cavalier 2.2 Turbo with Nitrious

Is it correct im not sure

Senior Tuner
    I dont think you followed Post#21

You need to atleast Clear fuel Trims.
    Long term at +24
    Short term at -16

ok here is in closed loop also attaced tune.

any one?

no one?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i got slammed with work this week i will try to get a look at it today or tonight.
    may not get a chance to post until tomorrow though.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

just from a lunch time glance i can see you still havn't followed the posted instructions.

your still not forcing closed loop. your commanding 12.7 pe afr which is a n/a fuel number aren't you boosting? im not a pro with these motors but that gonna be hotter than the sun in the cylinder under boost with any motor especially with the 17* avg of ignition timing in the top end.

your injector modifiers are still active as well they need to be neutralized.

(planethax)...in one post you mention to "reduce the VE percentage to go rich," how does this make it richer when the ve percentage adds to the ve table which would intern make the numbers larger so over 100% can be achieved?

does raising the ve % make the table cap larger in a sense scaling down the rest of the values?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post

(planethax)...in one post you mention to "reduce the VE percentage to go rich," how does this make it richer when the ve percentage adds to the ve table which would intern make the numbers larger so over 100% can be achieved?
    Not sure which post your referring to?

post #21

***WARNING***
    THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR CAR. If you are running untuned and without added fuel, especially in boosted applications, you can go lean and blow up your motor. If you fear this, you need to richen up your car before you start. Simply reduce the VE percentage in each of the cells until you are running pig rich. Then go ahead with tuning.

my turbo is on but not connected down pipe everything is on im just waiting for my cold piping for my intercooler it had to be custom. For now im trying to tune my car with the parts i have on to see the real performance gain from them. When i go my car kinda hold backs. It seems like the computer is compensating. When i run nitrious on it there's no problem and that is without no tune.

Tuner in Training
    Is your turbo installed with the hot side all hooked up, but no charge pipe going to throttle body? If it is that is the wrong way to do it. The engine will not run right under load. Thats why the car is holding back.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Turbo not connected is still na. Since the manifold is more log style usually, you don't have the effects of pulse signal matching headers.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Turbo not connected is still na. Since the manifold is more log style usually, you don't have the effects of pulse signal matching headers.
    Of course it is still naturally aspirated. Im talking if he has the exhaust manifold running thru the turbo, but no charge pipe to the intake manifold it will run poorly, almost no power. Has anyone ever disconected their charge pipe and tried to drive the car? It will have way less power than a N/A engine. Even tho the exhaust gasses are flowing thru the turbine it has alot more backpressure than flowing thru a normal exhaust system. It is drawing in the air n/a without being forced in, in essence it is choking up. Exhaust is not escaping enough plus it is not drawing enough fresh air into the engine. It is a severely polluted intake charge in the engine. Like to much back pressure from a damaged cat converter, or a crushed exhaust. It will not run right. Thats why when he hits the nitrous it runs ok. At least that has been my experience. OP does the engine feel like it has less power than it did before you hooked the turbo up to the exhaust system?
    Last edited by 98S10; 03-29-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Back pressure statement is correct but the pressure added is so Minimal the effect is hardly noticeable. Put the same turbo on the end of attuned length header and u will the drop is 2% or less. Remove tuned header for a log or short tube clam shell header and you will see drops up to 30%.

Obviously anyone running turbo will lose 10% power or more instantaneously after a charge pipe is removed. it effects so many different factors. Without thinking to deep I count 8 variables that are instantly effected.

Nitrous corrects slot of bad running cars as it either burns hotter utilizing all of a previously rich air charge or adding more fuel with a larger fuel nozzle to consume the left over o2 in a lean air charge. I've seen it go both ways and had to retune the kit after properly tuning the computer from scratch.

So what specific point are you trying to make? Work with me I think I'm not understanding your wording 100% and I'd like to understand to see if I'm missing good info.

ok so the charge pipe aint connected i have my aem cold air intake on. It makes sense about the back pressure through the exhaust but before i put on the turbo kit it was the same way. I did a 2.25 catless straight pipe to a flowmaster exhaust. I have a air raid throttle body spacer, aem cai, and had pacsetter headers 2.25. I had seen a lil performance gain i have like a dead spot 10 to 20 then it starts to pick up. Dead stop it jumps to 10 then ya. When i start getting more up into rpms's it like wobbles back in forth like hold backing. It's still gna be awhile till i have the charge piping. In the mean time im trying to get the car to run at its peak performance before i start tuning with the turbo piping connected.
    Last edited by 1100250747; 03-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.

I wouldn't run the nitrous. Just turbo.

What is your fuel system? Injectors? Fmu?

We made 316whp on a stock Ecotec with 17psi, and a fuel system and tuning.

Ring lands won't last long like that is the negative.

Fuel system, injectors everything is stock. stock internals on the engine as well. I recently put a used engine in it has about 35K miles on it. Thats about it i have a 5 speed transmission but i wont be putting that in for awhile. So the parts i have installled on the car is a dynojet wideband, throttle body spacer, custom manifold of a cobalt 2.25 catless flowmaster exhaust and aem cai.

can somebody help me

when we told you to follow the post #21, did you make more changes and log new information? unless you post your new changes and their results you wont get proper help.