Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cant get TPS to reset to 0

Just had an issue exactly like this with a new TB. The TB blade wouldn't close all the way, even though I backed off the screw, couldn't get anything less than .71 volts. exchanged that crap for a new one and no more problems.

Advanced Tuner
    What brand? I've seen that with the Chinese/ eBay crap. Binds

Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    What brand? I've seen that with the Chinese/ eBay crap. Binds
    It was a Nick Williams 92, the throttle blade would literally get stuck closed. To the point it wouldn't reopen without yanking on the throttle cam using a good amount of force. Took the blade off to see if it was just misaligned and no, looked at another one and the same thing. Got a FAST 92 and it works fine.

Funny you say that about a chinese one. For the price it was a good deal but a bit of a pain. Buddy has one he bought for like $100. Had a leak in the throttle shaft nothing a few dollar seal didn't fix, the blade was sticky too but recentering it fixed that, and last but not least if you cracked the blade open it would open past the IAC hole and then you got too much air(getting good IAC counts was impossible), so it got the drill and now it works fine hahahaha makes big power

Potential Tuner
    Reviving a super old thread, hopefully something has changed in the past 6 years..

So I've been chasing this idle issue and narrowed it down to my TPS. I've got a cam in my car and the tuning is dialed. I've opened up the TPS holes, reclocked, it's 0.50v when the throttle is closed, and done probably 20 relearn procedures. Every time I key on, the TPS is at 2.0% and making the idle suck. The only time I can get the TPS to 0.0%-0.4% is when I flash a new tune. If I hit the key after flashing, it fires up, AC on and in gear, idles perfect. If I cycle the key, TPS is back at 2.0% and it won't idle right.

The 5v reference on the sensor is at 4.95v and the ground ohms to zero anywhere on the block. I'm going crazy trying to chase this issue. WOT always shows 100% as it should. I cannot figure out why the car wants TPS to be 2% every time I cycle the key! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the ground ref is supposed to be a signal low ref. this signal low ref should go to a signal ground return to the ecu and not the block. if you go to the block you have injector and more importantly ignition coil noise that can contaminate the ground and cause offset issues during key cycling. You didnt mention where the sensor low reference was routed to, but you should definitely make sure it goes back to a harness signal low reference line.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman