Thread: HELP! Need Stock 2007 Mustang GT Manual PCM Module

Potential Tuner

Question HELP! Need Stock 2007 Mustang GT Manual PCM Module

Hello,

I am not a modder myself, but I purchased a used 2007 Ford Mustang GT (the one pictured in my signature) in 2009 from the Ford Dealer (it was supposed to be Ford certified for California)... One of the modifications made to the car was the addition of the C&L air intake unit with engine retuning. I have had no problems with the system until this year when the DMV required me to get the vehicle smog-checked. I had no idea what a nightmare I got myself into buying this car (even though I love driving it).

The car is in the dealer now. I have spoken with an engineer at C&L who told me that when the air intake unit was added that it came with a reprogrammer (which I do not have possession of) and the engine was tuned for the air intake system. Unfortunately this tuning is not legal in California, and thus I am unable to register my vehicle (reg stickers expired end of Feb).

Now the dealer says he wants ME to replace the PCM unit (the engine computer) at a whopping cost of $1200+ dollars to me. I believe it is the responsibility of the dealer to fix this, and he has agreed to rent me a car while the vehicle is in the shop, and to cover 30% of the repair.... But I still think $1200 for a part which should be able to be reset and reprogammed, and possibly replaced with a used computer, is pretty stiff.

Does anyone know a source for used PCM units? Either that or has anyone experienced what I have experienced? Is there a way to reset the PCM to STOCK settings? Why does the dealer insist this is not possible? I have done some googling today and found that some people claim the computer can be reset to stock programming, and I have even found 'files' on this site for restoring the stock programming.

Any help will be appreciated..

Thank you,
    muman613

But I still think $1200 for a part which should be able to be reset and reprogammed, and possibly replaced with a used computer, is pretty stiff.
    I agree, the dealer really should be able to flash your computer back to stock. I really don't know why they say that it isn't possible. Maybe they don't have the proper tool? You could try another Ford dealer.

I have even found 'files' on this site for restoring the stock programming.
    In order to use the files on this site you would need to purchase the HP Tuners system and pair some of the included licenses with your car. It comes with a special cable and software.

You should also be able to get a stock airbox for a 05-09 and swap it out to pass (it's really easy). The CAI is probably what is causing you to fail. If you do this I wouldn't drive the car aggressively or for a really long time since the tune you have is meant for the C&L. The car should run fine and be able to get to you to and from the shop as long as the CAI is your only mod. Just don't go crazy because it will mess up your air fuel ratio.
    Last edited by Exley; 03-05-2013 at 09:30 PM.

It's not that easy, due they don't know by what programmer this car was programmed, if it's by Diablo, then with HPTuners it's not possible to change parameters to stock values (checksum error).
    Maybe support of HTP can prepare You same calibration with Your coded vin, but You still need to buy this for one time.

I agree that dealer has possiblity to flash stock calibration without problems, this one want's to rip You, change dealer.

You have also possibility to send ECU to someone that has HPT and Mustang GT, he can put in to his car and check if reprogram is possible, if possible, he can do that for You.
    I can do that for You, but You have to send ECU to Poland, this should take with sending back about 2 weeks.

And what can I say more, that something should be wrong with Your car, due putting CAI and correct program should not affect emission test.

C&L seems to be 50 states legal.
    From their site:
    "C&L STREET AIR INTAKE UPGRADE & TUNING SOLUTIONS FOR 2005-2009 MUSTANG GT
    C&L Performance offers the most comprehensive line of air intake upgrades for the 2005-2009 Mustang. Whether you are looking for a simple 50 STATE LEGAL "bolt-on" improvement, or a fully sorted package with tuning support for maximum performance, we have got you covered. SHOP ONLINE FOR SPECIAL CL7140 TUNER PRICING.
    "
    Last edited by caniggia; 03-07-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

it can be done, but the IDS tool that does not allow updating a pcm that is already up to date, without the dealer knowing how to force a module replace and reprogram.

can you PM me your zip code and I'll see if I know anybody in the area that can help.

Ryan