Thread: Does 2 Bar Upgrade Lock ECM to HP Tuners?

Tuner in Training M.STAFFORD912's Avatar

Does 2 Bar Upgrade Lock ECM to HP Tuners?

I have the VCM Pro Suite and it has the 2 Bar OS. Is the ECM now locked to only be tuned by HP Tuners?
    08 G8 GT | ERL 434ci Stroker (11.7:1cr) | TEA LS3 Stage 2 Heads | EPS Cam (237/247 .618 .628 114 + 3) | ATI Super Damper | Rotofab CAI | 1 3/4 OBX LT's | Magnaflow X Pipe | Magnapack Mufflers | Yank SS 3200 stall

No it's not "locked". But I have tried to read an EFI Live multi bar SD tune with HPT and couldn't so I would imagine the opposite is true. But anyone with HPT should be able to read/write your PCM.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

basically yes, we change the OS ID to our own number that will not be identified by other software. In some cases they will be able to read your tune but not open it. The reverse it true for other vendors custom OS's.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    basically yes, we change the OS ID to our own number that will not be identified by other software. In some cases they will be able to read your tune but not open it. The reverse it true for other vendors custom OS's.
    So for example if I take my whipple'd 2010 camaro manual trans to the dealer for some kind of chassis warranty and have to leave it overnight or a week, there is really no way they can remove my 1500rpm rev limiter (that I would apply before taking to the dealer so the tech's dont Ferris Beuler me)?

Since I have larger 63lb/hr injectors, I figure worse case is they factory flash it, then it simply wont start since the fuel rate will be very low.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If they flashed over it via tech 2 yes your tune would be gone.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    If they flashed over it via tech 2 yes your tune would be gone.
    Good, thanks. Actually I realize in my case flashing back to stock would flood the engine out trying to start it.. but that's ok too.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    So for example if I take my whipple'd 2010 camaro manual trans to the dealer for some kind of chassis warranty and have to leave it overnight or a week, there is really no way they can remove my 1500rpm rev limiter (that I would apply before taking to the dealer so the tech's dont Ferris Beuler me)?

Since I have larger 63lb/hr injectors, I figure worse case is they factory flash it, then it simply wont start since the fuel rate will be very low.
    i use to do the same, but i couldn't even get it to the dealers with the limit lower than 3k.

-Carl