Thread: Relink VATS if I temporarily put in another PCM?

Senior Tuner

Relink VATS if I temporarily put in another PCM?

I have a 2010 Camaro SS. If I remove the E38 from my car, and plug in another E38, ONLY to allow me to perform a Read Entire, and then simply remove that and put my cars original E38 back in, will I need to do anything to re-link VATS, or any other security systems, or will my car behave like I never did anything at all when I hit the key again?

I've got a PCM I want to read to see what's in it, but I don't want to mess up the car, so if necessary I'll build a benchtop harness.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    It should be fine to read it that way with no vats link. Done it a few times on gen iii without issues.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Senior Tuner
    Cool. When you say you've done it with a Gen 3, you mean an LS1 or similar? The newer BCM's are a bit touchy, that's why I'm nervous. As it is the car doesn't like to restart after a write calibration only unless I let it sit for 5 minutes, or unhook the battery.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I tried an aftermarket ECU long enough to write the tune & start it, had security issues and reinstalled the stock ECU and sent the other one back. No problems linking the original again, only ran the aftermarket 5 mins in the garage.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Cool. When you say you've done it with a Gen 3, you mean an LS1 or similar?
    Yeah refering to an LS1
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I have a 2010 Camaro SS. If I remove the E38 from my car, and plug in another E38, ONLY to allow me to perform a Read Entire, and then simply remove that and put my cars original E38 back in, will I need to do anything to re-link VATS, or any other security systems, or will my car behave like I never did anything at all when I hit the key again?

I've got a PCM I want to read to see what's in it, but I don't want to mess up the car, so if necessary I'll build a benchtop harness.
    You won't have any problems, I have done it a few times with Gen 4 PCM's and the car started good when original ECM was put in.
    I never tried to start the vehicle when the spare PCM was hooked to avoid tripping any weird thing.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    I did this with an E67/T42 setup, swapped ECM/TCM into my truck and read them. Didnt even try to start it, swapped back to stock ECM/TCM and had 0 issues. Dont know if the Camaro's will behave this nicely, but it cant hurt. Worst case, relearn your stock controllers you've already licensed.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Senior Tuner
    Cool, thanks guys.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    I tried an aftermarket ECU long enough to write the tune & start it, had security issues and reinstalled the stock ECU and sent the other one back. No problems linking the original again, only ran the aftermarket 5 mins in the garage.
    I did this exact same thing, on a 2010 Camaro SS. Including sending the "other ECU" back cause I couldn't get it linked.

After consulting support, I concluded HPTuners does not relink the 2010 Camaro E38, I lost $100 in credits doing this, actually, make that $200 thinking a newer OS would fix the problem. I would suggest greying out the "relink" button in the scanner so we don't waste 8hrs and lots of $$ trying multiple methods.

I never had to "relink" the OEM ECU, it just plugged in an worked after all these attempts.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    anyone got a schematic to build a bench harness or the minimum wires needed? I got a couple extra e38 plugs I could use