Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shift flares on 2008 Vette A6 - what is the solution?

Tuner in Training

shift flares on 2008 Vette A6 - what is the solution?

I have done a lot of searching and reading on this site on this issue.
    Since I have started tuning my car it has developed an INTERMITTENT shift flare mainly on the 2-3 shift. It also something does it on the 3-4 shift as well. The flare is only on light throttle and light load. Higher throttle and load the shifts are fast and tight.

From what I read I should use the adaptive learn reset feature on HPT scanner after each reflash.
    I also read that I could try disabling adaptive pressure upshift adapt.
    others suggest to zero out all adaptive pressure preset (oncoming and offgoing) tables.

Most of the above suggestions are somewhat dated so I was looking for any updates you guys might have.

Tune attached if you are interested.
    thanks in advance!
    -Jason

Senior Tuner
    Here's a start. My 08 shifts good with these settings.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    Here's a start. My 08 shifts good with these settings.
    thanks for the reply. As you saw all my tqm settings are off/none.
    I have actually tried many different tqm settings, but they have not made any difference in the flare.

Tuner in Training
    for those that have used the adaptive learn reset feature on the scanner: do I really need the trans at or above 170 degrees F for the reset/clear process?

I am not interested in going through the fast relearn process if I don't have to. Is the reset- then drive the car process sufficient?

Tuner in Training
    Just did the reset and fast learn process. Wow..that is unnerving!
    Process worked as described. Went for a drive and the trans is shifting very differently...softer in fact. I will give it a few miles to see if there is any improvement on the flare(s).

all thought A6 stratigy is very differant. For yours, Id cut your 2,3,4,5 shift times in half.

What made you think just adding 18 pounds more pressure on your max pressure table was going to help and didnt add any pressure to the 1,2,3,4,5,6 base shift tables?

your max table is saying this is the max pressure you want to allow for pressure, the base shift tables pressure enhancement might do you better good.

Change all those nones in flare tqmt up to no throttle

Andyour engine side still needs work

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    all thought A6 stratigy is very differant. For yours, Id cut your 2,3,4,5 shift times in half.

What made you think just adding 18 pounds more pressure on your max pressure table was going to help and didnt add any pressure to the 1,2,3,4,5,6 base shift tables?

your max table is saying this is the max pressure you want to allow for pressure, the base shift tables pressure enhancement might do you better good.

Change all those nones in flare tqmt up to no throttle

Andyour engine side still needs work
    Yep..my tune is definitely a work in progress.
    I have paid three different tuners for "professional" help.
    I have not been happy with any of them so I bought HPT and I am pushing forward on my own.
    I have made some friends on here that have been helping me along the way.

Any suggestions welcome.

Make sure the engine is properly dialed in...ALL reported torque comes from airflow measurements....if the MAF and/or VE surface is off the trans will determine shifts based on whats measured and not what it really is...

Howard
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

also, go to the Shift Proporties tab and look at the Inertia Factor Profile tables for the shift you're interested in. These tables are an easy way to change the shift feel. You'll notice the low torque & low rpm shifts have numbers like 1 or 2 in there and higher torque & RPM have numbers like 8 or 9.

Try inceasing the numbers in the area the shift is flaring.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Redline MS View Post
    Make sure the engine is properly dialed in...ALL reported torque comes from airflow measurements....if the MAF and/or VE surface is off the trans will determine shifts based on whats measured and not what it really is...

Howard

^^This X2!!!
    2011 CTS-V w/FRA, bolt-ons & flex

Advanced Tuner
    If the car was built before Dec 2008, there was a TSB on this issue. Anyone who builds these trannys will tell you that you need to update to the newer style stator and seals to really fix this problem. The old style seals leak and create a flare in the 2/3 shift.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    If the car was built before Dec 2008, there was a TSB on this issue. Anyone who builds these trannys will tell you that you need to update to the newer style stator and seals to really fix this problem. The old style seals leak and create a flare in the 2/3 shift.
    Mine was built in 8/07, so I guess this is applicable to my car.
    My flaring is only at light throttle. Under 1/2 to full throttle it shifts great.
    Can the above issue show itself only at light throttle?

Tuner in Training
    here is the TSB just for ref:

Below is the complete description of the TSB:
    The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Some customers may comment on a flare or harsh 2-3 shift.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230). The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking:

• Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts, that are more likely to occur when the transmission temperature is below approximately 40 degree C (104 degree F).

• Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0 degree C (32 degree F) to 40 degree C (104 degree F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.

• Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% tp.

Vehicles built in the January through August, 2007 time frame are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings

Important: When inspecting the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230) there probably will not be visible signs that the seal rings are damaged.

If any of the conditions above describe the flare/harsh 2-3 shift condition replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230), DO NOT replace the valve body or TCM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
    Mine was built in 8/07, so I guess this is applicable to my car.
    My flaring is only at light throttle. Under 1/2 to full throttle it shifts great.
    Can the above issue show itself only at light throttle?
    I dont know. It could be possible if the seals do leak, at higher pressure there is still enough pressure making past for good shifts. I just know that when I looked into having my tranny built by Century, they told me the upgrade is a must.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner in Training
    I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I may have FINALLY fixed my shift flare issue....or at least greatly improved the situation.
    As Chris from HPT suggested above the inertia tables seemed to do the trick. I had to make significant changes to the low RPM/low torque areas of these tables.
    Went from 1 and 2s, to 5s. So far, so good....we'll see after some more miles. Thanks Chris!

Advanced Tuner
    Did this work for you? Or did you have some mechanical problems with the transmission?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    Did this work for you? Or did you have some mechanical problems with the transmission?
    unfortunately I spoke too soon. I still have the shift flares. I even went back to totally stock tune, and the shift flare is still present. It is not as noticeable with the stock tune due to the entire shift pattern being more mushy, but it is still present. My next step is to have someone check (fix) my trans for the TSB mentioned in the above post.

Have you tried scaling up the TQ tables in the ECU? How much extra power is your car putting down compared to stock?
    2011 CTS-V w/FRA, bolt-ons & flex

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by V locity View Post
    Have you tried scaling up the TQ tables in the ECU? How much extra power is your car putting down compared to stock?
    No I have not. Where are these tables located? thanks for the suggestion

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by V locity View Post
    my car is only putting down about 40 more HP than stock