Thread: help tuning turbo vanes for brake

Tuner in Training

help tuning turbo vanes for brake

Can anyone walk me through which tables I need to change to help my turbo brake work better?
    Thanks
    Blown 2011 SS Camaro, 2008 LMM Diesel truck,
    3 Harleys.

Tuner in Training
    I am not sure if I can help you exactly with your request, but the tables in question are called turbo vane control. The values in the table are percent closed. 90% closed would have the tip of the vane close to the turbine wheel. 0% would have the tip of the vane far from the turbine wheel. When you want to maximize the affect of the exhaust on to the turbine wheel you use a high percentage. Such as when you want the turbo to spool faster and create a lot of boost. When you want to increase exhaust efficiency you use a lower percentage. I haven't used vane control to create a turbo brake, but I imagine you would raise the percentages in the higher RPM range and lower fuel quantity. You might try adding boost in the same range.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, Makes sense
    Blown 2011 SS Camaro, 2008 LMM Diesel truck,
    3 Harleys.

close the vanes at 5 and 10 mm3 from about 1600 rpm to max
    97 k2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80/4x4 0411 pcm,thorley tri-y's,true duals(no cats),msd ign.,zz4 cam, tuned with efi live

Tuner in Training
    x2 on closing vanes, i closed mine to 98 percent in the higher rpm range down to around 1200 rpm and desired more boost in the areas i wanted more braking it should work good if its all done correctly if i recall when i scanned it after setting it all up on deceleration in tow haul and downshifting manually it hit around 11psi, hope this helps